BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every few years I need to replace the pressure treated trailer bunks and carpeting as they split. Easy job but is there a better harder wood or other material that will keep from splitting? I'd hate to have one break and have the boat fall down on the fender. My trailer no longer gets submerged as I have the boat lifted out to keep the trailer nice. I am thinking perhaps oak. Your thoughts boys?

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
my trailer from venture was purchased in 2013 or so-no replacement yet dunked twice a year. Only used a s a yard trailer

brakes disconnected Original rubber probably due for replacement but only moves from summer storage in cmch to breezeelee where it stays with boat all winter. some of lights work

·
Vendor
943 Posts
my trailer from venture was purchased in 2013 or so-no replacement yet dunked twice a year. Only used a s a yard trailer

brakes disconnected Original rubber probably due for replacement but only moves from summer storage in cmch to breezeelee where it stays with boat all winter. some of lights work
Venture uses kiln dried 4x6's on their larger bunk trailers. They hold up really well! Have had some here that are 15 + years old.

Reactions: toolguy73

·
Vendor
943 Posts
Don't use pressure treated!

Don't use pressure treated wood if you are trailering an unpainted (bottom paint) boat. It is possible for the treatment to leach through the carpet and stain the hull. We use kiln dried replacement bunks when replacing trailer bunks. :thumbsup:

·
Vendor
943 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Has anyone installed the Ultimate bunk boards? My saltwater trailer and my fresh water trailer both need new bunks and thinking of going with these.

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
Every few years I need to replace the pressure treated trailer bunks and carpeting as they split. Easy job but is there a better harder wood or other material that will keep from splitting? I'd hate to have one break and have the boat fall down on the fender. My trailer no longer gets submerged as I have the boat lifted out to keep the trailer nice. I am thinking perhaps oak. Your thoughts boys?
what size?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts