BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! With all the talk of a federal moratorium, are we all voicing our displeasure to our local legislators??? If you haven't yet, it is time to get on the horn and call, e-mail, fax, and write to them to get off their duffs when they get back to work and vote on the regulations! We all know that we need to have a striped bass season, we need to let them know that we need it! Let's get on it! Here is a sample letter I have sent to all three district 1 legislators(Asselta, Gibson, and Van Drew). Senator Connors comment of no fishermen calling has me fired up, because that is B.S.!!!!

-----------------------------------

Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew
21 North Main Street
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

August 24, 2004

Dear Assemblyman Van Drew,

I am sending this letter in regards to my displeasure with the apathy expressed by our New Jersey legislators in their voting on the striped bass regulations for the 2005 season. Their actions have resulted in a potential federal moratorium on striped bass fishing for the fall, 2004 season. As a charter captain in Cape May, New Jersey, I can assure you that this would be devastating to myself and many other businesses, which depend on the exceptional striped bass fishing seen in our area. Other charter and party boats, as well as bait shops, marinas, and countless other businesses will be directly affected if this closure is put in place. I urge you to prioritize bill S1691 as soon as you return to office. My vote and the votes of countless other recreational anglers in the state of New Jersey depend on it.

Best Regards,

Captain Adam Crouthamel
Adam Bomb II

------------------------------------

COME ON STRIPERS!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Here is a link to find your District Senator.
We Need To Make CALLS,EMAILS etc... NOW !!!
Urging Them To Prioritize S1691 when they return
to session....
N.J.State Legislature Roster

[ 08-25-2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Just sent email to all three.

Copied adam's letter,changed a few things around since I am a rec but have clients that are charter or businesses that rely on the striper fishery directly or indirectly, and emailed them courtesy of Nightstrikes link. 1 letter to all three-can't get easier than that. Took all of 3 minutes.

Get out the word

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I just sent an e-mail and fax to all three of mine here in Washington Twp. Lets get it going!

FRED H. MADDEN - Democrat

Assemblyman DAVID R. MAYER - Democrat

Assemblyman ROBERT J. SMITH - Democrat

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Here a response I got from Mr. Mayer, rather quickly to.

Dear Mr. Scafidi,
Thank you for your correspondence regarding the Stripped Bass Legislation introduced by Assemblyman Bob Smith. I voted for and supported this bill through the Assembly. In June the Assembly passed this legislation and it is now awaiting a vote in the Senate.
Again, thank you for your concerns regarding this matter. If you have any other State related concerns or issues, please do not hesitate to contact my office at 856-227-5900.

Very truly yours,
David R. Mayer
Assemblyman, Fourth District
18 Somerdale Road
Blackwood, NJ 08012

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Here is another response I received, come on guys they are listening!

Dear Mr. Scafidi:

Thank you for your email regarding striped bass legislation. I have printed a copy for the Senator's review. Please be advised that Senator Madden is working with Assemblyman Smith, the sponsor of the legislation to get this legislation through the Senate as quickly as possible. If you should have any other state related issues or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact this office.

Very truly yours,

Allison Phillips-Legislative Aide

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Things are happening, but they are only going to happen to completion if EVERYONE gets involved! Send them mail, have your friends send them mail, and print this thread out for ALL your non-Barner fishing friends!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sorry, DP!

[ 08-25-2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: DopicDick ]

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Just sent mine in. Thanks Adam, I modified your writeup to reflect a rec fisherman.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Good job guys. This is the kind of response that will assure the legislative action necessary to get NJ in compliance. I can assure the RFA as well as the JCAA are hard at work on this one. I guarantee you the Pa chapter of the RFA is doing what we can. Come to our Pa chapter meeting in Media, Pa on 9/16 if you want to get more involved. One of the topics being discussed is how we can better get our voice heard........Capt Harv.....Vice Chairman Pa Chapter RFA

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Do you have to be a resident of NJ to in touch with the powers to be to get their butts in gear and get this thing done. Do they know, really know how very important this is to recreational fishermen & women.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Done ! just contacted all three in District 10

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Reel-ality........You do not have to be a resident of NJ to get involved. The Pa Chapter of the RFA has pull because Pa anglers spend alot of money fishing in NJ. We get involved in letter writing campaigns, just as NJ anglers do. The state of NJ doesn't want to lose the money we spend in NJ. Please, everyone write letters and get involved in the politics of fishing for the sake of all of us and generations that will follow. Democracy is not a spectator sport!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.