BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from key west why do most the marinas carry non ethonol gas it was $3.11 a gallon. whats the deal with new jersey marinas

·
Registered
837 Posts
i asked myself the same question as was told by 2 differnt marinas in palm beach county that they only have room for one tank, and most customers down there are requesting non ethanol, so that is what they go with...also a lot of 89-93 octain only, for this same reason...i think that my motors and fuel system enjoyed 93 non ethanol fuel! my wallet did not!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
i think that my motors and fuel system enjoyed 93 non ethanol fuel! my wallet did not!
Unless that outboard of yours (about 8 to 1 compression ratio ) is Close to 10 to 1 compression ratio or higher your just burning MONEY with that 93 octane.

Absolutely NO advantage in higher octane fuel for lower compression engines

Trust Me:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
ONLY A matter of time before Florida is 100% 10% ethanal
Several marina's now out in SW Florida with no hope of refilling

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
E10 fuel is/was only designated areas around main highways and cities near those highways.. We've been screwed in the way of marine fuel.. There is no mandate stating we have to burn E10 in boats..

Remember saltwater boating is only 12-14% of the boating public. It's the bassboating type guy's around the inland buying fuel at the local 7/11's that have weakened this problem..

The bottom line is you don't want to mix the MTBE fuels with E10 fuels.. Mixed together they will phase separate much faster..

You are better off just sticking with what you can find the easiest.....E10...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Unless that outboard of yours (about 8 to 1 compression ratio ) is Close to 10 to 1 compression ratio or higher your just burning MONEY with that 93 octane.

Absolutely NO advantage in higher octane fuel for lower compression engines

Trust Me:thumbsup:
i want to agree on you with this one however the faster top end when running with higher octain fuel was considerably noticable. new motors also. that could explaint your 10-1 compression

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
i want to agree on you with this one however the faster top end when running with higher octain fuel was considerably noticable. new motors also. that could explaint your 10-1 compressio
Typically outboards are way less than 8 to 1.
Compression ratios do not change they are fixed .
Compression ratio in short is the Volume of the cylinder and combustion chamber when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke and the volume when the piston is at the top of the stroke

The HIGHER the compression ratio the oxygen/fuel mix is forced into a smaller space.
To keep the Fuel from Pre-Igniting under the intense pressure HIGHER octane is used to make the fuel LESS combustible so you do not have the KNOCK or Fuel burning unlit by the spark plug but rather by intense pressure.

The KNOCK is from the piston firing off BEFORE the actual top of the stroke is reached.:D

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
There was a chain of stations named PURE that carried non-ethanol on the mainland. The one in Englewood closed up though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.