BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father was in Key Largo last week. Water temp close in was in the 50,s. He saw numerous barracuda floating, a sea snake and many smaller snappers, grunts ect... He was talking to a local that netted a couple of permits on the gulf side, the guy said they were swimming side ways about to die. Any Florida captains please reply. He did say the patch fishing was good about 7 miles offshore.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ouch I'm headed down to KY Fl on the 25 for 3 days of fishing with OU. Do things look better offshore?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Unfortunately, it is all too true. Luckily the weather has warmed up and it is in the upper 70's today...hopefully it stays that way for a bit and warms the water back up. The shallower water cools much more rapidly and the backcountry/shallow water fish took a beating. Sea turtles too... There is a school of bonefish in my canal, hanging out right on the surface trying to stay warm, a manate too...lots of baracuda, a shark.... everything is trying to find a way to stay warm.

Sailfish seem fine! Come on down and let's go catch some...

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
In Fort Pierce the water dropped as low as 42 last week in the back. As soon as you go offshore it warms up quikly.60 degrres 6 miles out and 70 degrees at 12 miles.
Many fish have died and many struggling fish like snook have been netted and snagged lat week by poachers. You can not net permit, snook or any other game fish. The Co's busted three boats last week localy for snagging struggling snook. Down here they take away you boat and truck. You aint in Jersey anymore.
On the other hand the Kingfish,sailfish,and sheepeshead fishery is off the hook as they all love the cold. It is suposed to get back to normal this week with temps in the mid 70's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.