BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

The "One More Yank" has made her annual pilgramage from Sea Isle City to Key Colony Beach in Marathon. After 27 hours and 1375 un-eventful miles, she was splashed yesterday morning. We left last thursday night at 8 pm from Mystic Islands and we pulled up at the in-laws house at 6 pm on Friday (1150 miles down). A stiff 20 mph head wind all night had our average speed and mileage down to about 63 mph and 7mpg but after the sun came up the winds shifted a little and our pace picked up and by the time we crossed the Florida line we were cruising along easliy at 70...after a 2 days rest I left port saint lucie Sunday morning around 11 and was at the house in KCB around 4 after enjoying a cold one on the dock of the Caribean Club and filling up the boat in Tavineer. We played around the Vaca cut yesterday afternoon and caught some pin fish, grunts and snappers while hiding from the wind. We headed out late this morning and humped it down near the 7 mile bridge. I anchored up in a cut on the east side of Pigeon Key on the north side of the bridge...I whooped up on nice porgies while dad fought with the new line he loaded on his reels....

fishing was good until the tide turned and the blowfish took over..

For the guys who really like these, the big ones are down here...

We moved over to the other side of Pigeon Key and anchored up under the bridge where dad gave me a real lesson on catching mangrove snappers, spanish Mackeral and Mutton Snapper..he caught 6 nice mangroves, 3 muttons, a balck grouper, gag grouper and 3 or 4 mackeral along with a 3# porgy...I think I may have caught 1 snapper, 1 mackeral and a grunt.....and a nice lane snapper..oh and an oyster cracker...

Hope to hit the outer patches and the main reef tomorrow as it is supposed to calm down...for my fellow fisherman back in Jersey, think warm thoughts and enjoy the pics..I will be back there before I know it while dad spends the winter here.....

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Chris,,,nice,,,,enjoy, glad you had a good drive down thats good timing,,,,I use to drive down in my younger years without towing a boat ...Have a great time,

on a side note the gps antenna still working great

Joe R.
20ft Classic SeaCraft
Susie II

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 2 Fishing Report

Hello Gents..the weather is getting nicer and nicer...the ocean was pretty calm with a left over swell and the bay was smooth...headed out this morning and followed the neighbors to their secret yellow tail sopt..almost..peeled off and trolled the edge of the reef for a while...worked our way west with nothing to show for it..did some deep dropping in 140 feet of water and caught a few big Grunts...moved inshore and dropped the hook on a patch reef in about 20' of water..way cool being able to see to the bottom....put the chum out and fished for about 30 minutes..nothing but a few grunts and a nice parrot fish caught by dad...

then this interesting looking little bastard bit on my clam bait (Jersey salted clam kicks butt down here..thanks Scotty!)..

While I was unhooking my first spotted moray eel of the trip, dad tried to fling this bastard off the hook with a pair of pliers and somehow he got poked in the index finger of the hand holding the pliers.....since the pain was increasing and moving into his hand and I was not certain what the fish was, we headed for the house to do some quick research online and then off to the ER just in case...turns out the fish was a Scorpion Fish and the venom is poison....doctor soaked dads hand in scolding hot water for 30 minutes, which denatured the venom...the nurse told us that they have been getting 1 sting per day this week and in a pinch, we could pee on the sting...hot fluid and ammonia to denature the venom....better advise is just to cut off the damn hook the next time we see one....after we got back from the er and had lunch, we headed out into the bay for some pin fish, sand perch, small sharks and the such...not much tide in the bay and things were kind of slow...but very nice....

The sand perch are supposed to make good grouper bait and I hope to find out in the morning..the weather is going to hold for another day and we are following the neighbors this time..they had 35 yellow tail and a hog fish...next report tomorrow night...!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Gee chris thanks for picking me up on the way down!!!:mad:

Kidding, nice reports, keep em comin!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrew..I was thinking of you on Saturday while I was looking for things to do with the brothers-in-law.....we ended up at the family fun center in Stuart with the driving range, minature golf and go kart tracks....pretty cool place....I saw the Club Med place on the map I was looking at...always wondered where it was at and now I know....

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Andrew..I was thinking of you on Saturday while I was looking for things to do with the brothers-in-law.....we ended up at the family fun center in Stuart with the driving range, minature golf and go kart tracks....pretty cool place....I saw the Club Med place on the map I was looking at...always wondered where it was at and now I know....

Had some good times there in Stuart. Great small town feel isnt it? If you're gonna be passing through there again look up the Kona Beach Cafe in Jensen Beach, best beach food ever and the owner is a great guy.

·
Registered
77,654 Posts
Wow as I sit here with 19 degrees outside

Great pix:thumbsup: Glad to see someone enjoying it. If all goes well I’ll be down in April

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fishing Day 3

With a great break in the weather, we spent another day out front on the ocean..it got nicer and nicer all day...fished several spots between Hawk Channel and the edge of the reef..caught plenty of fish..yellow tail snapper, grunts, porgies, trigger fish, dad caught a 6' green moray eel..biggest one we have hooked down here..too bad it broke his good offshore angler rod..that hurt....but not as much as having to throw back a 10# red grouper (22") because the season is closed.....trolled up some mackeral and hit a false albacore on a plug to end the day..stopped on the way to the house to check dad's new stone crab traps and we had 2 crabs....1 did not have any claws and the other was one of the biggest crabs I have ever seen..a little leary about grabbing ahold of it to get his claws....yum....

Phat..bring alot of hooks..we go through 10-12 per day and the fish down here are mean and tough..the big ones always have their way with us and we break a rod or 2 every year..well at least my dad does....I can flounder fish with the same bucktail all season....not down here..you get bit off and broken off constantly..especially when fishing the reef....it is some kind of wonderful place though and well worth the investment in tackle....leaving here tomorrow and heading north to Port Saint Lucie to the inlaws...flying home Saturday to snow and ice...yuck~!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I hate when the reds are out of season... I was bug diving in august down off marathon and had a FAT red come up to my bug bag and bite the bugs inside... if only I had a gun he woulda been dinner.

Enjoy the rest of the fishing!!

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Great pics... you still running that 2006? I gotta get back down there....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Nice reports and pics. I'll be in KCB late March and can't wait!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
He CG, just happened to be looking at your post and noticed my fathers house in the pic at the end of the lagoon, its the pink house with the 25 Grady cc on the lift and the carolina skiff to the left, I take it you are on 9th or 10th street. Fishing has been a little slow down there lately, if your down in Feb or March shoot me an email, theres a classic cast of Jersey characters heading down in March, if we arent fishing we will either be at the Cabana Club or Sparkys..

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Goofy,

I dont remember seeing a 25 Grady CC...I will have to look again when I am back there at the end of March. I will be going back down near the end of March to fish for a few days and then yank the boat and haul her back to Sea Isle. I will have to keep in touch with you guys..it would be great to hook up with some fellow Jersey Barners....my mom and wife will be at the Cabana Club every day...mom has her group of ladies and my wife calls them her "March Friends"....dad has been doing pretty good and this year he went and bought some stone crab traps. after I busted his balls about not wanting to get his new traps wet and dirty, we finally put them in the water on Monday of last week. On Wednesday we caught 2 crabs...one big bastard that I was not real keen on handling..took me a little while to get a comfortable grip on him and snap his claws off..I would not want to get bit by them..damn big crab! He has caught 5 or 6 more this week and is not fishing for crab bait,.....he was about 3 miles out into the bay today and the mackeral were tearing him up...he had to go to larger rods to land them..last week I only saw small ones....things are improving by the sounds of it...

·
Vendor
3 Posts
Looks like Bahia Honda bridge. Great place to fish. We are in Cudjoe and fish American Shoal pr Looe Key. Looks like you are really having a ball on the reef! George Neuberger (Double G) is coming down next week so get ready for some serious lying going on. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
7 mile bridge west of pigeon key right near mozer channel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts