BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. pulled into St Pete last night for a week and right away the temperture dropped into the high 40's and the wind cranked up to 20kts... OUTSTANDING!

Anyway, being a Jersey boy, I still strapped on the waders this morning and headed down to Ft Desoto where, by the way, they just nailed a $5.00 park fee on to everyone that wants to go in...

Found my number one spot too exposed to the NE blow so headed to my backup spot.... I come around the bend and there are 8 trucks parked there already :eek: ... looked like opening day of trout season at Ft. Dix!

Slogged in anyway and hung for an hour with one ladyfish and 2 small trout. The ladyfish blasted a zara spook aboout 3 ft out of the water before coming back for it.. way cool.

The boys said there have been some nice, dumb reds in the area so hopefully I can get a couple good shots tomorrow.. can't fish sunset tonite, dinner with the family

Stay Tuna-ed!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So you're the one that brought the NJ wind with ya? Ha. I'm in Sarasota, and yeah it got chilly and windy. Sunday there were fish around though.. we did really well with trout to 21 inches. Good luck up there.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously.... I think it was here when I got here.... maybe it was hiding in YOUR tackle bag!

Had a really decent day today. Tried to flyfish in the wind... bad idea. So I switched gears and went to a local flat where guys were banging trout on shrimp (which I had none of). Threw some artificials with no results so I split.

Hit another flat where the tide just started moving in where two guys were just getting ready to get in the water. They started catching on DOAs right away so I jumped on the bandwagon.... timing is everything :D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
FM

The hot ticket in Sarasota bay right now is Mirrolure "lil Johns" in Glow. I don't know why but the trout can't resist them. Fish em on an eighth ounce jig head and twitch em a lot. We had 40+ trout Sunday on them.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will stop on the way out in the morning.... thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts