BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what water temp does the fluke fishing turn on. I have caught a few so far but the water temp has been 59 degrees at high water and 62/63 at the bottom of the tide. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
lower scale 50 degrees
ideal range 62-66 degrees
high scale 72 degrees

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
shallows warm quicker during the low end of the tide and are usually more productive until the outside water warms

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Originally posted by A Frayed Knot:
At what water temp does the fluke fishing turn on. I have caught a few so far but the water temp has been 59 degrees at high water and 62/63 at the bottom of the tide. Inquiring minds want to know.
I have been reading basically the same as you,but this is surface water temps.I feel the fishing will explode when we get a few of those warm 75-80 days an 60 nights.The water on the bottom is still pretty chilly.Our basic problem is this November type weather in May.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
AFK, why wait for the whole bay to heat up? try the outgoing tide of a sunny day (should we ever get one) on the lee sides of shallow creeks, small ponds, etc. with mud (dark)bottoms.
Be surprised as to dif. in temps. & the flattys seem to turn on big time about 1/2 hr to the bottom ;) . Hope gets ya some biggins before they do the ocean thing.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I also concur....most importantly...THEY WANT MINNIES.
They'll hit and hang on other stuff but it's the minnie that makes them throw caution to the wind.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Originally posted by candyman:
I also concur....most importantly...THEY WANT MINNIES.
They'll hit and hang on other stuff but it's the minnie that makes them throw caution to the wind.
You NAILED it candyman, "especially" on thoes sllooww drifts or anchored & casting a hot spot. In addition, always remember the "drop back" for fluke hookups ;)

·
Registered
39,870 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by BT3100:
Don't forget the flounder belly, large 6" strips using a bucktail. The larger strip will net less shorts. Last 1/2 of low tide is great advise. Dont forget to try different rigs, colors and bait. You never know what the flavor of the day may be.
Good Luck,
Joe
At 40 bucks a pop for each strip and having been boarded once I will pass on the flounder belly.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
"pass on the flounder belly"....OK, so just do the minny/squid combo or minny/pork-rine combo or mackerl strips with Christmas tree tinsel or raw chicken combos etc etc. The key is the bottom temps. They will take a cigarett butt when warmed up & on the feed IMHO. Just need to find the temp & ambush areas (they "stack" up there, jockeying for positions) ;) Think about it......intellegent beings- they are not, lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts