BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When flounder fishing and using a braided line with a bucktail. Whats you method

A- Tie bucktail directly to the braid

B- Tie on a section of flouracarbon (no swivel)and tie the bucktail on the flouracarbon.

C- Tie on a section of flouracarbon (with swivel)and tie the bucktail on the flouracarbon.

It may seem like a silly question. But I was wondering if the flouracarbon or swivel would lessen the sensitivity you would feel of the braid. Which is the whole reason for using it.
I also have been trying the braid and tieing the bucktail directly and havent been that impressed. I thought the flouracarbon would be a help.

As you can tell its been a long winter.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Rob,

I think the best way is without the swivel and some leader tying the two with an uni-uni knot. But as you know I only catch the shorts anyway.

When are you putting in?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Rob it's recommended to use a section of shock leader when using braided line, whether it's flouro or mono. It will not hinder the sensitivity, if you use a swivel I recommend the spro swivels they make them small enough to pass through the guides and you can wind it on your reel. another point to not tying direct is you should never lift a fish by grabbing the braided line it will cut you bad. You can also tie the braid to the flouro by using a reverse albright Knot in the power pro box they show you how to tie it. I hope this helps. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rob, This is a question I have been pondering all winter. I've become addicted to bucktailing fluke over the last few years. I love the feel of braided line (feeling every bump and bite) but I've been tying power pro directly to the bucktail with a palomar knot and I don't think I've been catching as many fish as I did when I tied monofilament directly to the bucktails.
I've been playing around with different loop knots (several are in the knot book published by the fisherman magazine) but none seem real easy to use with braid.
If you use a fluro leader (and fluke are not supposed to be hook/leader shy) the question is how do you attach it to the main line? Even a small spro swivel will cause some wear and resistance on the rod guides. This leaves tying uni to uni knots every time you change a bucktail?
Also, do you rig each bucktail in advance with a length of fluro leader and a loop knot, because if your like me you change bucktails frequently when the action slows? This would make my tackle box even more of a disaster than it already is!
I'm Confused too!!! :confused: :confused:
Maybee just over thinking a non issue???
Greg

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why would you redo your whole braid/floro connection to change bucktail?Unless your changing leader size just uni/uni or even better an albright with lock hitch and make leader section 5 to 6ft and you can change lures all you want til leader gets to short. Loop knot is great for bucktails. Albright will pass easily through guides and levelwinds is easy to master.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I use Fireline to a snap swivel and a three foot mono leader. I believe the snap swivel serves two purposes.

First it will intercept some of the weeds. Some days in the back you get this fine hairy weed suspended in the water column. As you drift it collects on your line and slides down to a point of resistance. If you tie direct it will slide right down to your bucktail. With the snap swivel it will stop there and give you some extra fishing time before you have to clean up.

Second is quick change. On many trips I find flounder respond to certain size bucktails. Sometimes it's a small one and sometimes it's a large one. With a snap swivel I can change in a few seconds without tieing knots. I will always have about four different size leadered up and ready to go. One snap and I'm back in the water.

Sometimes when flounder seem to shut down I put the bucktail away. On those days I seem to do better with a single hook rig with a minnow. Again I have them rigged up and a snap and I'm back in the water.

It's so simple with a snap swivel. I have seen fisherman continue to fish with a chewed up leader because the fish were hitting and they didn't want to take the time to cut and retie. Snap on, snap off. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rob,

We've been jigging flounders for 20 yrs. Tie directly to the jig. The only change we have made is switching to braided line on baitcasters. We use green braided line, but I doubt color even matters. Mr. Flounder doesn't care.

Ron

·
Registered
385 Posts
Tim,
Is the shock leader a means of dealing with the minimal stretch you get with braided?
This may not affect you if only fishing 40-50 ft of line, but I've read braided line has less than 5% stretch, where as some monos can have up to 20%.
I'd immagine with braided you can pull the hook right out of the mouth if you're too powerful or quick???

·
Registered
341 Posts
Red, It does have in a part some room for error and give you a little buffer. Braid is as instant as you can get. I think it is as important to give you something to grab instead of grabbing braid and you don't have to net every fish. Mono also can save alot of braid left in the water if you get hung up, you can usually break the line at the mono, but your braid can break at the tip or half way down your line were ever a weak spot is when tying direct. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
226 Posts
Reverse albright to 10' of 25lb. flouro. Moderate to modrate/fast fiberglass blank, 3/0 to 5/0 Gamagatsu Octupus Circle hook.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I go Uni to uni from braid to a couple feet of #20 flouro to a loop knot on the bucktail to keep it swingin free...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I like a small swivel and 24 - 36in of fluro. I do like Chunking's snapswivel idea and will be giving that a shot this year with all my rigs. It should definitely make me less lazy and I'll switch things up more when not catching and a small snapswivel shouldn't effect presentation.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Originally posted by fmTuna:
I go Uni to uni from braid to a couple feet of #20 flouro to a loop knot on the bucktail to keep it swingin free...
This is what I do too. For some reason, braid doesn't hold up well to the abrasion of being tied direct to a bucktail, found I was having too many breakoffs at the knot, especially w/ power pro. If you tie dorect w/ power pro, retie often!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks like it wasnt a silly question.

Looks like it will be a swivel with flourcarbon.
I like the fact that if it gets snag that is what should break.

John H - By the end of April for opening day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts