BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WITH ALL THE REPORTS OF SHORTS EVERYWHERE GREAT BAY DELEWARE BAY BACK BAYS REEFS- WOULD IT BE TO OUR ADVANTAGE TO SHUT DOWN THE FLOUNDER SEASON FOR 1 OR 2 YEARS OR WITH ALL THESE SHORTS IT WILL MAKE FOR A BETTER SEASON NEXT YEAR.I LIKE FLOUNDER ALOT BUT WITH THE KEEPER RATIO PATHETIC
WOULD IT NOT BE A GOOD IDEA? I KNOW ITS FAR FETCHED AND I KNOW THE HEAD BOATS MAKE THERE MONEY WITH BOTTOM FISHING BUT SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.
WE CANT STOP THE NETTERS SO WHAT TO DO ?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK FOR SOUTH JERSEY.ABOVE US TO MASS A GOOD AMOUNT OF BIG FISH ARE CAUGHT AND THE DEL-MAR-VA ALSO HAS THEM.MORE THAN 1 PERSON OVER THE YEARS HAS TOLD ME THE WAY SJ SITS IT'S NOT THE PATH THAT THE BIGGER FISH TAKE.TRUE,I DON'T KNOW BUT I HAVE NO OTHER ANSWER.

·
Registered
848 Posts
ready folks? here we go. I think it is time for the powers-to-be to set lenght limits that are realistic. Say 15&1/2" Every year it is the same thing plenty of fish in the 15"-16" range. We have come a long way from the first year when the limit was 11". For the last SEVERAL years we have been stuck around 15"-16" for the majority of fish. In the back a lot of 15"-16" fish are nice and thick a lot better than what you see in the markets. Just my opnion. Your turn
mole

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think a greater size limit, say 17.5" is a step in the right direction. I've been flounder fishing for about 10 years and it seems like as the size limit goes up so does the size of the average fish caught.

Maybe guys that have been fishing for longer than I have feel differently. I think when I started fishing the size limit was 14" and the fish in my old pictures look much smaller than my more recent photos. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Lots of 16" fish when size limit to 16.5. Still a lot of keepers my way though. Most days are good with some bad ones mixed in.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I think you should be allowed to keep a certain number of Fluke regardless of size. If you want to keep 8 Fluke at 10", that's up to you. Not that I want to keep small ones, but there have been a few really nice ones @16" that were deeply hooked and going to die anyway. The way it is now, I have no option other than throwing them back in to be crab food. If there were some thinning out of the small ones, I think the ones left would maybe grow bigger faster. Of course that theory holds up if the food supply is limited. What I've been seeing is, there is tons of food in the back bays.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, I am relatively new to the barn however I have been reading the site for quite a while. I have been fluke fishing for over 10 years in the Barnegat Bay area and wheneverthe season starts the fish are always a little small. I went out this past weekend and me and my dad both had 3 keepers with about a dozen throwbacks each. The big point I want to bring up is that studies show that fluke grow on the average of 1-1 1/2" a month in the summer season so as the season goes on those fish that were throwbacks in the beginning of the season @16 or so inches will be in the cooler in a few weeks.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd agree with raising the recreation size limit only if there is a proportional increase in the commercial size limit. Or, raise the recreational size limit only, but give us back at least 10% of the total catch. If we are going to manage the fishery, concessions need to be reached on both sides. We didn't break it on our own, so we shouldn't have to fix it on our own either.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
IMHO

I would find any change in the bag/length limit totally unacceptable until there was a complete redesign of the analysis model of the fishery to make the data on which decisions are being made truly representative... and a revision of the commercial size limit (which I believe is still 12") to bring it closer to the recreational restrictions AND a change in commercial/Rec allocation from 60/40 to 50/50 as it should be...

The recs are gettin slammed on flatties... I don't want to give up an inch or an ounce....... especially since the guys guttin up the pie have no idea how big the pie is or the slices are.

Once again... just my opinion.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Traditionally, it's still just a hair early for serious fluking....

That being said, the past 3 years, I've noticed some serious reduction in our flounder catch.

I FIRMLY believe it is because of the OVER-ABUNDANCE in the striper population. They're killing off the young of the weakies and fluke.. (Probably seabass too!)

I do not believe we are harvesting enough stripers, and will soon pay the price..

The way I see it, we'll have another 3 or 4 "Dud" years for weakies and fluke, and they'll tighten up the regs... 2 Weakies 22"+ per man and 4 Fluke over 18".... It won't work, and they'll tighten 'em again..

Maybe about 10 years down the road, they (the RFA and the NMFS) will realize they spent too much time bowing at the altar of the Almighty Striped One, and open things up...

Stripers are wantan predators, and we've tipped the balance in their favor a bit too much.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Plenty Of Keeper Fluke

NOT SURE I understand what the problem is,this has been best year in past 4 for legal size fish as my ratio is 4-1 with almost 400 fluke caught.
Past 3 years ratio has been 10 plus to 1
I would like to see a 50/50 split between Comm/Rec's and also like to size size reduction to 16 with limit of 6
From my tagging data it appears smaller fluke caught in South Jersey are recaught NORTH of original catch location which may explain when New England may have bigger fluke.
Same could be said for Delaware, reports I have got over the years from other taggers indicates smaller fish tagged in NC and Virigina get recaught in MD and De.
Migration while East to West seems to have slight northern shift on the west bound trip

·
Registered
190 Posts
If You Know Where To Look, There Are Some Nice Flounder Out There. Fished Off Of Ti On Saturday, Had Three In The Box 21"-23" When We Raised Our Minimun Size To 20", Released A 17-1/2" And A 18". Ended With 5 Fish Over 21" And A Few Sea Bass. Sea Robbin Strips Was The Ticket.

·
Registered
797 Posts
ShoeB, Can you explain to me how this conclusion is arrived at? Why is it the 'overabundance' of stripers and not Bluefish or the protected dogfish? What studies have been conducted that can pinpoint bass as the culprit?

I can keep an open mind on your position, but would need to see some data that indicates bass above all other factors (I.E. commercial fishing, recreational fishing, and other predators).

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Im thinking the amount of keepers goes down because of the amount of people who take up fishing each year increases, more fisherman more fish taken, less keepers for everyone else who has been doing it for years. Also, places like the internet make it easier for people to learn how to fish, people give away secrets and spots that took years to learn. Makes it a lot easier to start fishing that way.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I think the real question is: What happened to all the 15-16" fluke we threw back the last 3 years?

Think about it for a second

1 - 20 of 28 Posts