BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read that at the public meeting last night that the majority of the poeple picked option #5 which is 4 fish at 19.5" and no closed season. I guess you Jersey guys get to keep all my throwbacks again this year:rolleyes: The final decision will probably come in late April

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My questions is it really worth it to have a bigger fish to get the longer season? At this point NJ, DE & NY will be harvesting predominately female fish. I can't tell for certain what effect this will have on the rebuilding effort, but it just seems illogical to me that this is the way to rebuild the stocks. (We don't know for certain how much further the stock can be rebuilt) Hopefully, the new stock assessment in June will shed some light on this.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think that is awsome that Delaware might have no closed season. Because I will have a Delaware fishing license for $50 that says I can fish there catch fish and keep the ones that match up with the required size . After catching the fish on the delaware side with my fishing license i will go back to Nj and park my boat then filet.

Can anyone find this in writing on the del license that that this would be illegal. When you get a fine is it like a ticket that you can fight in court??? Unless it is in writing somewhere I dont think it can hold up in court.

Here is another scenario. Lets say I trailer my boat to delaware fish with my license and catch fluke. Filet them at the ramp, put them on ice in the cooler and drive home. NOW, that I believe is totally legal.

How bout this?? I ride my boat over to delaware side fish with my license catch some flounder and filet them while on the DE side. Put them on ice and bring them back to my slip in NJ.
How does that hold up in court.

Can someone tell me whats the score here?

Sorry fellows for the complaint dept.

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To bee safe you can filet them at my marina and leave them with me, that way you can't get caught. Then I'll send you a picture of them on the grill and photoshop a pic so you can show your friends you really caught them.:D
killerbee said:
I think that is awsome that Delaware might have no closed season. Because I will have a Delaware fishing license for $50 that says I can fish there catch fish and keep the ones that match up with the required size . After catching the fish on the delaware side with my fishing license i will go back to Nj and park my boat then filet.

Can anyone find this in writing on the del license that that this would be illegal. When you get a fine is it like a ticket that you can fight in court??? Unless it is in writing somewhere I dont think it can hold up in court.

Here is another scenario. Lets say I trailer my boat to delaware fish with my license and catch fluke. Filet them at the ramp, put them on ice in the cooler and drive home. NOW, that I believe is totally legal.

How bout this?? I ride my boat over to delaware side fish with my license catch some flounder and filet them while on the DE side. Put them on ice and bring them back to my slip in NJ.

·
Registered
404 Posts
DBay Flounder Regs

I think there should be a DE / NJ commission to oversee fisheries issues on the DBAY / Everyone would get the same regs. This commission would act on issues like crab / conch dredging, and depleted species.
I know, I'm dreaming.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Killerbee,

If you take the fish back to NJ it doesn't matter if you have a DE liscense. Your port location is what matters.....which means if you dock in NJ you must follow NJ rules. Hope you don't get caught.

Good Luck this season.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Killerbee, I don't think it's even which port you fish from-it's possession. When boating/fishing across state lines, the only safe thing is to comply with the more restrictive state law.

I wouldn't be guided by what will hold up in court-that's a last resort, and will cost waay too much fishing time and money, even if you win.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Judging from last night's public hearing on Delaware Summer Flounder Regulations in which an auditorium full of Fishermen and women were all for Option 5 and according to the Roy Miller the emails indicate the same choice then I'd say it will be a pretty sure bet that around May 11 that Delaware reg.s will be 4 @ 19.5 inches and no closed season. I am guessing something extraordinary would have to happen for Secretary Hughes to go with another option. Interestingly, Delaware Anglers chose a 52% cut over a 41% cut to avoid a closed season.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Fanabala................................

Still up in the air with how to personally go about this whole shinanigans.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
killerbee said:

You bring up some excellent points. Wish I had ther answers.:confused:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I see your point and totally agree with you. The legislative bodies governing the Bay have their heads up their bass. It just goes to show how clueless they really are as to what goes on out their with the handful of guys that like to go fishing once in a while. It'd be nice if there were someone from our fishing community to shed light on similar issues when they come up with new regulations. I agree that the body of water should be governed as a whole but unfortunately that's not likely in this case nor any other, such as building new shipping terminals or dredging issues. For the time being, pulling into a NJ marina while the fish and game are there with a fish considered illegal in NJ will get you a ticket, regardless of a paid Del State fishing license. Doesn't seem to make sense that me, a guy from Jersey, should pay for the "Delaware right to fish license", and not be able to take advantage of it. But then again, lots of rules out there don't make sense-just ask a horseshoe crab fisherman!

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Jay Little said:
Judging from last night's public hearing on Delaware Summer Flounder Regulations in which an auditorium full of Fishermen and women were all for Option 5 and according to the Roy Miller the emails indicate the same choice then I'd say it will be a pretty sure bet that around May 11 that Delaware reg.s will be 4 @ 19.5 inches and no closed season. I am guessing something extraordinary would have to happen for Secretary Hughes to go with another option. Interestingly, Delaware Anglers chose a 52% cut over a 41% cut to avoid a closed season.
Thanks for posting, Jay. I just stole your post from another board and started a thread stating I was jealous of your 'no closed season' regs.

"As stated above, The Hearing Officer ran a very smooth and civil meeting. The DNREC staff answered questions effectively and honestly to questions by fishermen frustrated by year after year of cuts. The room was nearly full and all 8 of the 8 signup sheets were filled!
Again, I compliment the Hearing Officer as she took my suggestion of using the signup sheets as evidence of all in the audience in support of Option 5. She stated that this was unorthodox but deftly handled it by not taking a poll but by asking if anyone was not in favor of Option 5.
I was in the back of the room and saw no hands go up. This is powerful evidence as 20 odd people who talked were entered into the record versus approximately 100 people's opinions that now had to be now counted.
Good Stuff!

BTW I found it interesting that the Majority picked a 52.7% cut in Option 5 versus a 41.44% cut of Option 3. Just goes to show you that Delaware Anglers just do not want a closed season for flounder when given a choice."

Here is to hoping you guys have a good Lurefest today. I wish I could be there.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
SEACRAFT72 said:
I think there should be a DE / NJ commission to oversee fisheries issues on the DBAY / Everyone would get the same regs. This commission would act on issues like crab / conch dredging, and depleted species.
I know, I'm dreaming.
My understanding is that NJ is the problem here. Apparently, some North Jersey interest object to the idea.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's only one body of water King Solomon

SEACRAFT72 said:
I know, I'm dreaming.
I Agree!:)

Why can't we all get along:confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why not option 3?

I would like to see option 3 be picked thinking that extra half inch will bite me in the arse all year long! The closure on option 3 is only from 5-11 to 6-1 and since I only fish the ocean for the flatties this time period would not be an issue. I'm sure the choice on option 5 was based on the back bay fishing and the fact that nobody likes to give up a part of the season at all. It's gonna be a tough one this year!I think my rig of choice will be a live Skipjack bridled with a circle hook for the keepers!

·
Registered
19,526 Posts
killerbee said:

I pretty much do all my fluke fishing in Del, but I'm moored at Cape May. Here's my take on your questions.

Catch 4 fish in Del waters per person and you can then go into Jersey waters and fish for the remaining limit and you can definitly filet the fish on the Jersey side no matter where they are caught becasue they are all within limits of NJ. This however needs to be done while NJ season is open otherwise it's illegal, even though you caught the fish legally in Del waters, you possess them in NJ. It will hold up in court as the law is simple.

Driving home from Delaware with fileted legal fluke into NJ, is a gray area. Don't get caught with fluke filets in NJ out of season. You are technically in violation. Could you be ticked? The probable cause exsists IMO to issue one. I'm a LEO and I'd say so. So your taking a chance, however, your gps on your boat might be able to convince the person ticketing you that you did comply with the laws, but you are still in possession of illegal out of season wildlife. Is it going to happen to you, I'm not sure people are even looking for this scenario, but if you generally have bad luck you could get caught and have to defend your actions.

I would not go over to Del waters fish for fluke then take them back into the state waters of NJ whether they were fileted or whole. That's clearly a possession violation of NJ law.

Hope I helped, email me if need be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts