BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The N. J. Marine Fisheries Council, on thursday, announced the new regulations: 18" minimum and a season from May 24 to September 7. My reaction :mad: :confused: :( . What's yours?

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Its Fine. Looks Like Flounder For The Day Then Turn Over To Drum For The Evening

·
Registered
20,307 Posts
Its about what I expected from the start. I know the fishery is in trouble and I keep hearing this is not a North vs South issue but when push comes to shove, it is. People will tell you that it this was the best option for all, but I disagree. If all five options were supposed to provide the same results, then why not option 5 opting for the longer season. I asked the same question in another thread and the only answer I could get was it was personal experience. WE were over last year by July. We will be over this year by July. So why not accomodate the back bay and land based southern anglers, who by the way have an earlier season, for this year. We just gave the north 90 million to keep their tracks open, what more do they want.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
yes over in the bay by july but not for the ocean guys.

·
Registered
20,307 Posts
No, we will be over the weight limit statewide by July. Not the fish moving out. Based on the way they estimate the catch, they could shut it down if they wanted, at any time after that. Remember, The total weight was reduced this year and we are moving up to a bigger fish, which will have us hit the target weight all that much faster. They chopped several weeks off of NY last year.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
bay bee said:
The N. J. Marine Fisheries Council, on thursday, announced the new regulations: 18" minimum and a season from May 24 to September 7. My reaction :mad: :confused: :( . What's yours?
It could have been worse.:rolleyes: I wonder if there will be more outlaws this year...Hmmmm:eek:

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
flounder size

they tell us what to do and how to do it this is not what I would like but we have to live with it. I would have liked longer season with lower size and bag limit 18 inch size limit means more throw back mortality:( :eek:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
What to do from Sept 7 to thanksgiving??????

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
killerbee said:
SEPTEMBER IS THE BEST MONTH IN THE BAY. ANCHOR UP AND CATCH 14-20 INCH WEAKIES-SEA BASS -CROAKERS-CRABS - SMALL BLUES AND THE OCCASIONAL FLOUNDER ALL WITH OUT MOVING.ALL WITH OUT BURNING ANY FUEL.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
killerbee said:
From Sept. 8 to about Oct. 15, think about striper season. From then 'till Thanksgiving catch 'em. What else can we do?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Not the biggest fan of those lil weakies. But, i guess thats what I have to do.
Just happy we can get some flounder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
commercial

I don't totally agree with the decision they made either, however, i feel that alot could be solved by tighting the commercial limits. a ten inch flounder should not be allowed to be kept by any one.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What is it?! 18 or 18.5?! Sept 7...that is crazy...that is when it gets good again...nothing that come from new jersey suprises me anymore.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
stripersfullofaces said:
I don't totally agree with the decision they made either, however, i feel that alot could be solved by tighting the commercial limits. a ten inch flounder should not be allowed to be kept by any one.
The commercial quota gets slashed the same amount the recreational quota gets slashed. Commercial minimum size is 14". People often complain about this, but they don't understand that short fish in a net are released dead. Where they drag, the number of fish under 14" is a fraction of a percent of their landings. If you up the size for them, you increase discards. The 1st quarter commercial season lasted under 20 hours.

Everyone thinks it's a NJ thing...it's a COASTWIDE problem. It's not NJ screwing over it's fishermen. It's BAD data that's the problem, and near every state in the mid-atlantic region is getting pounded. Think we have it bad in NJ(we do), then look at NY and DE. Yikes!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Well at least the season isnt going to open up after my scheduled fluking trip with a certain captain, lets just hope we dont hit the limit within the first 3 weeks of the season opening.;)

Short season sucks, but at least its a season, and at least we have it for this year, but now its time to start looking at next year, not wait till the end of this coming season. Is there any ideas on how to salvage 09'?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts