BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to make up some striper rigs which made me think to ask this.

So what type of rig does everyone use for flounder? I am new to this so I want to see if the rig I am making is right.

I tie a size 4/0 kahle hook on to 18" of 20lb floro to a 3 way swivel. The second eye is tied to a 8-10lb 6-8" piece of mono with a swivel and weight, the third eye is tied to 30lb powerpro.
So, what do you think???? :confused:

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Seaclusion said:

So what type of rig does everyone use for flounder? I am new to this so I want to see if the rig I am making is right.

I tie a size 4/0 kahle hook on to 18" of 20lb floro to a 3 way swivel. The second eye is tied to a 8-10lb 6-8" piece of mono with a swivel and weight, the third eye is tied to 30lb powerpro.
forget the 6-8" of mono to a weight, use a duo-lock snap directly to the 2nd eye of the 3 way, put your weight on that...its alot cleaner.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Growing up...my dad always made "hoochie" rigs...we called them that...they were 36" of leader....beads, spinner, 3" pink, red, green, white whatever color squid skirt, 2/0 wide gap gamukastu 3 way swivel w/snap for singer....I personally am attached to these ONLY because it reminds me of fishing with my dad...and they do work...

That being said...You can't beat a straight up white bucktail....simple as it gets...bucktail with a strip bait of choice works wonders:):) Keep bouncing it off the bottom. Can't beat it!

Good luck with your rigs though...I'm making some hoochies just to have them:)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
This is my go to rig. Add a geen gulp, a strip bait with a spearing/minnow combo and its on. I have been using this rig for 2 years now and it has never failed me.

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
That green...or chartruse gulp color really pops, which is the ticket for fluking in murky/dirty water. When it comes to fluke rigs, paying attention to water clarity is important. Also, don't forget the mono dropper for the weight, use one and adjust the length to the speed of the drift/scope of line used to hold bottom and you'll catch more fluke.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Get 40lb leader material or fluoro and tie a bloodknot leaving one of the tag ends 6-8" long. Tie a 1/2 white spro to the bottom of the main leader with a loop knot and snell a 2/O to 3/O gami octopus for the teaser hook. White, chartruese and pink swimming minnows or a herring strip on the bucktail and another swimming minnow as the teaser or throw on a fresh spearing. In the real skinny water skip the teaser and just toss a bucktail and gulp on a 24" leader.

RyanF

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Seaclusion said:

What depth water are you fishing in?

The rig I'd use for 8ft in the bay is totally different from what I'd use in 60ft out on the reef.

Alot also depends on whether you are looking to catch "lots" of fluke (mostly shorts), or are targeting bigger fish.

I'd also HIGHLY RECOMMEND reading the thread in the link below. One of the best reads on Fluke (all aspects) that you'll ever find.

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83805

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JoeyZac said:
What depth water are you fishing in?

The rig I'd use for 8ft in the bay is totally different from what I'd use in 60ft out on the reef.

Alot also depends on whether you are looking to catch "lots" of fluke (mostly shorts), or are targeting bigger fish.
Thanks for the replies guys!!!

JoeyZac, I have fished for them in water between 10-22'. Of course we would like to catch a few keepers but since we are new at it we love catching any.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83805 This is a must read

I use a regular 48" 20-30lbs leader material..the straight ones from the bait shop tie a drooper loop about a foot from one end a 3/0-4/0 gamikatsu shiner hook on the other end with a palomar or snell and a surgeons loop an the short end after the dropper to attach the sinker using the loop makes quick sinker changes easier.. attach the dropper to the main line via a coastlock swivel for quick and easy rig changes..Out front in water deeper than 25-30 feet I use the 3 ways or tie all junctions with swivels to avoid tangles.. Some old grumpy guy in a bait shop in WW taught me this in about 45 seconds..You can tie enough rigs to last all season in about an hour..

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Seaclusion said:
Thanks for the replies guys!!!

JoeyZac, I have fished for them in water between 10-22'. Of course we would like to catch a few keepers but since we are new at it we love catching any.
Where do you fish??

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
I Go Simple. 3 Way Swivel. 1 To Main Line. 1 For A Weight. Then The Other Is About 1 1/2 To 2fT Long. Usually A Single Hook With A Something Shiny On It Or Some Hair. Sometimes If They Are Finicky I Use 2 Hooks Snelled About A Foot Apart:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the reason I put the 6-8" mono to the weight was someone told me if i did it that way the weight would break off when i got hung up and not the entire rig. but by using that am i putting the bait in the right spot?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If you are just fishing the bay, you should be good with the 6-8" length. If the drift was very fast, I'd consider making it a little longer to make sure the bait stays in the strike zone.

You're rig sounds perfect for flounder fishing. There's endless possibilities as far as rigs go (single, double, bucktail, gulp, floats, etc...) I'd concentrate more on keeping the hooks sharp and checking your knots and line for wear. Don't be afraid to get a small sharpening stone and hitting the hooks every few drops.

I'm not a big fan of the weaker leader material for the sinker. Most of the times when flounder fishing, the weight is the most expensive part of the rig.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Go shorter on a fast drift and longer on a slow drift.

RyanF

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bucktails Only

I have been using bucktails/jigheads exclusively for a few years now. Most of the time I have a teaser 14-16" above the bucktail with a plain gold hook or white/chart. teaser. Another little trick that a friend showed me is....all attachments are made with loops and nothing is direct knotted. The loops let both the bucktail and the teaser "bounce" very life-like. I bring rigs from 1/8-2 oz. to deal with different drift speeds. Also, I go cheap on the bucktails or use homemade jigs. I have found that flatties don't bite expensive(spro or the like) baits anymore that cheap ones. With this rig I 99% of the time go gulp shrimp on the bt/jig and swimming mullet or herring strip on the teaser. Sorry for the detail...but I'm gettin' the itch! Plus....no "spots" were injured in the discloser of this information! Can't wait for the 23rd!!!! Get'em Wet! Pig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts