BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: The response from the local flounder fishermen was sadly lacking tonite!! Please take the time to check this site before it's to late!

www.ssfff.net

Help when you can! We're all in this together. This could be the beginning of the future or the beginning of the end, Which is it going to be??????:confused:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have donated, but could not make the meeting, but I am concerned that the regs were already in place regardless of the meeting tonight. From my understanding, they were set prior to this meeting. If so, What could have been done?

Concerned in Pa.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
KHP said:
I have donated, but could not make the meeting, but I am concerned that the regs were already in place regardless of the meeting tonight. From my understanding, they were set prior to this meeting. If so, What could have been done?

Concerned in Pa.
Nothing could have been done. This group has nothing to do with the regs for NJ (or any state for that matter) that is not the issue.

Go to the website and check it out for yourself. I'm sure others will chime in to explain further, I have to get to sleep. Got 3 1/2 hours till work starts.

Good Night! :D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Made a rough head count at the meeting and only about a hundred showed.:(
It was a good meeting and I found out a lot that I needed to know. Where was everyone? This was a call to arms and not much of an army stepped up.:(

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
chunking said:
Made a rough head count at the meeting and only about a hundred showed.:(
It was a good meeting and I found out a lot that I needed to know. Where was everyone? This was a call to arms and not much of an army stepped up.:(
I totally agree.
I was disappointed at the amount of people that showed.
The most important part of this effort is the misunderstanding at what is trying to be done.
The regs are not the issue the big picture is the issue.
My hats off to those that showed up and my gratitude to those that are volunteering their time and efforts on our behalf.
I have spent a lifetime fishing, diving and enjoying the ocean and the sport.
This is on the edge of being taken away from us and our heirs.
Let it be known where your votes will go and make sure your heirs understand the big picture and the repercussions of inaction.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Capt Hersch- sorry I missed you last nite!

Cyclops- I, too, was shocked with the turnout. I was sure it would be standing room only and then some.

TB- I gotta say, you did an EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT job of helping me, and others, understand the whole deal from start to finish. It was very helpful and I will feel much more confident when I speak or write to politicians on this subject. I received a letter from Congressman Frank LoBiondo this week stating that, while he was not on a certain committee, that he supported changing M/S and would do what he could to help it along the way. I'll get some face to face time with him at the end of the month and try my best to bump up his support.

I also think the fella who made the following point made some real sense. He said that each year they raise the size limit and keep the bag limit the same- they are actually causing us to go over the total allowable ton limit b/c the bigger fish weigh more than the smaller fish.

Thanks to all the organizers for all their hard work and time.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I believe most of you who read anything I post know that I'm the first to say back bay is different than up north or ocean flounder fishing. This meeting had nothing to do with that. This is for NOW so we can have those discussions later.

We need to pull our heads out and take a good look around. If something isn't done right now then this year could be "The good old days" We need to put the flounder on the flag and we need to rally round it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Partnership said:
Capt Hersch- sorry I missed you last nite!

Cyclops- I, too, was shocked with the turnout. I was sure it would be standing room only and then some.

TB- I gotta say, you did an EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT job of helping me, and others, understand the whole deal from start to finish. It was very helpful and I will feel much more confident when I speak or write to politicians on this subject. I received a letter from Congressman Frank LoBiondo this week stating that, while he was not on a certain committee, that he supported changing M/S and would do what he could to help it along the way. I'll get some face to face time with him at the end of the month and try my best to bump up his support.
Thanks, we try to spread things out amongst the group, but with Adam and My cousin Ray not able to attend I had to go into detail about quite a bit more than usual. Those who know me know that talking is not something I have a hard time doing ;) but at things like that people get tired of hearing the same voice for too long and will start to turn off. It was good to see the positive response from everyone there, thanks again for coming.

Lobiondo is already a co-sponsor of HR 5425, now we need to keep the list of co-sponsors growing.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed,indeed!

chunking said:
I believe most of you who read anything I post know that I'm the first to say back bay is different than up north or ocean flounder fishing. This meeting had nothing to do with that. This is for NOW so we can have those discussions later.

We need to pull our heads out and take a good look around. If something isn't done right now then this year could be "The good old days" We need to put the flounder on the flag and we need to rally round it.
:confused: I just hope our fellow fishermen figure it out soon, It's time to act! We know 2008 is a done deal. Yes it's going to be tough! This is about the future of the flounder fishery period! We must not let this happen!
Get the facts and get involved! www.ssfff.net

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
i think most people think well what can i do.. there just going to make the regs whatever they want anyway... no matter what i say.. but the fishermen needs to rally... why are all these meetings so far away and in the middle of the week.. why not have one on a sat or even a friday night?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
phillyfishing said:
i think most people think well what can i do.. there just going to make the regs whatever they want anyway... no matter what i say.. but the fishermen needs to rally... why are all these meetings so far away and in the middle of the week.. why not have one on a sat or even a friday night?
Which meeting are you referring to? The state meeting in Galloway or the SSFFF neeting we had in Brooklawn?

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Sorry, I was busy at the meeting in Galloway last night ....

·
Registered
897 Posts
im sure there where more than a few that couldnt find the joint in broklawn.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
There were some that went to the meeting in Galloway AND to the meeting in Brooklawn.:rolleyes:

I too was disappointed in the turnout. It seems as though most people won't get involved until it's gone.:( Then it's too late.:mad:

I know it's a cliche, but the "Time is now". As was stated at the very beginning of the meeting, this is the most important issue facing fishermen, recs. and comms.

Get involved and spread the word. www.ssfff.net

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
phillyfishing said:

Brooklawn is right over the Walt Whitman.:confused:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I too was dissappointed at the turnout. But the speakers made very good points. Being a livestock farmer I can tell you these guys are not "chicken-littles" the anti fishing, anti-hunting tree hugging animal rights activists have all the time and $ to get thier views put into laws. We have numbers and like to spend time doing what we love to do. They enjoy spending thier time trying to keep us from doing what we love. We need to "invest" a little time and money into preserving our sports and livelyhoods or they will be REAL HARD to get back when they are gone!

Let's get together and fight back!

WWW.SSFFF.NET

·
Registered
49 Posts
phillyfishing said:
There were people who attended the meeting in Brooklawn last night that had to fly down from Canada, went to the meeting in Galloway, and then drove down to Brooklawn. There were also a good number of charter and party boat Captains that went to both meetings and had to drive all the way back up to north Jersey to run offshore wreck trips leaving at 2am. There was also someone there that just came from a funeral. Brooklawn was a little hard to find, but was only 10 minutes form the Betsy Ross Bridge. "Those of you who stand up vigorously for your own rights, usually fall miserably on your own duties."- Ron Paul 08

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Yeah the showing was piss poor. There alot of people who chatter online and with their fishing buddies but beyond that they sit back and wait for others to win the fight for them. Internet chatter on a message board that does not extend beyond hardcore anglers is not the way to win this battle. The biggest thing I got out of the meeting is that its not North vs South, its all outdoorsman who need to take an active role in preventing the fluke issue from turning into a snowball rolling down a hill, growing in size and devouring every outdoorsmen in its path.

For the amount of people who said they were gonna be there, even on the barn, looks like a lot of people just didnt want to take three hours out of their busy lives to find out how to fight for something that will effect their children and grandchildren.

RyanF

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I was there, too. Listened to everyone talk, and comments/questions by the crowd afterwards. I was disappointed in the turnout but not surprised. If you think about it, it was the 80/20 law personified. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people.

A few things I learned:
1. Flounder have been 'assessed' for about 40 years.
2. Assessments (# of fish) have never been this high in all the years they've been counting them.
3. This is despite the fact that there are/is;
....More fishermen.
....More coastal development.
....More so-called 'pressure' on the fishery than ever.
4. The goal, or number of fish is NOT based on an actual count. It's a guesstimate.
5. This goal is twice as high as the current count, which is the highest it's been since recording began.
6. The counters not counting them correctly.
7. All indications are that the fishery is growing, but not fast enough, according to "the law."

I was very impressed to see and hear what the goals of SSFFF really are. It's really not about the flounder, and it's not about New Jersey, either. This group is working to change the Magnuson Act, which dictates how the salt water fisheries are managed and assessed. The way I understand it, the management rules and assesment procedures are the real problem.

There are 21 states (I think) that have salt water borders. The Magnuson Act affects all these states (I think). Not just New Jersey. It can also affect the other 31 states at the dinner table. Prohibited species cannot be sold anywhere.

While the flounder issue is in our face right now, the Magnuson Act will force the same outcome with other fisheries. It is not fair and equitable. It is cast in stone without compromise. It really does need rewriting.

Additionally, rulings based on it are made with incorrect or incomplete information (the science).

We have a tremendous battle ahead.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
RyanF said:
For the amount of people who said they were gonna be there, even on the barn, looks like a lot of people just didnt want to take three hours out of their busy lives to find out how to fight for something that will effect their children and grandchildren.
RyanF
Ryan

There are three types of people:

Those who make things happen; these are the people you saw last night.

Those who watch things happen; they sit on the sideline, not doing anything, but will cry like a stuck pig when things fall apart. By then it's too late.

Those who wonder what happened: these are the people we need to educate and talk to. The ones who aren't 'connected', or keep to themselves.

One of the speakers said it best last night, "We won't even tell our best friend where we caught that fish." In general, that's the type of person we are. We need to unite on this issue, so we can fix it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts