BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fishermen, It's time for me to schedule and arrange our first Flounder / Tuna Tournament.

I want your opinions and suggestions. Dates, limits, requirements, prices, prizes, vendors... etc. ??? Let me know what you think.

I want to build big tournament(s) but need your participation. I believe it's important to collect ideas and gather information from other fishermen's experiences and what you enjoyed most about other tournaments.

Most importantly, I want you to enjoy our tournaments and have a good time!

You guys would know best. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
A good starting point would be to find out when the other players are holding their tournaments... I know many guys are used to fishing those and will pick an existing tournament over a new one. Just something to think about :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
flounder

A flounder tourn. in early June while they are still in the back gets my vote. More people will be able to participate before they go deep. Keep it under $100 for the main entry with extra options for more $.:thumbsup:

Also if you want to build it big you might consider having it benefit a local charity.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
A good starting point would be to find out when the other players are holding their tournaments... I know many guys are used to fishing those and will pick an existing tournament over a new one. Just something to think about :)
Ditto that:thumbsup:No sense in competeing with something already established.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I don't fish many tournaments, but I have opinions on them. For the fluke anyway, almost forgot to say

Make the calcutta enough that there can be a nice pot there if an angler wants to enter it, maybe a 100 bucks for the big fish, but not a meager 10 or 20 bucks. Many guys won't want to fish a tournament if they have 250 invested to walk away with 900 or something like that. Does that make sense?

have your start time at dawn or close to it. Then no one would be fishing early before "lines in." Seen that a few too many times as an observer going fishing. This helps avoid people accusing people of having lines in too early, meaning they cheated.

July is a good month because you have a backwater and ocean bite and it encompasses both types of fishermen. Try to pick a day when there is good tide if possible. If high tide takes place during the tourney, then fishermen can fish both sides of the tide and your weigh ins could be more impressive.

Boundaries? Your preference.....More guys may join if they can drive by boat or car back to their favorite fishing area.

Don't forget the "subject to polygraph" or close examination, inspection of the fish to make sure it was caught that day. Need to deter bad seeds

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
A spring tourney for stripers would be nice. If i had to pick a time, I'd say the last week of April is a safe bet for some good weigh ins. Unless its a full moon. They get busy in April on the moon.;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I have found it challenging to pick a good date because of conflicting tournaments.. some notifications for tournaments don't get published until late.. so for the people who are trying to plan ahead get stuck when someone else picks the same date.

If anyone knows of any dates for other tournaments, please let me know! BUT some people don't mind fishing 2 tournaments on the same date because it could mean 2 winnings! As long as they start @ the same time.. what does it hurt... (just more money to put out.. which can hurt)

Our Striper Tournment went great (other then the wind issue) - Calcutta got up to 400!

Anyone know a good graphic designer for a shirt design?

Great suggestions / opinions! Keep them coming!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A spring tourney for stripers would be nice. If i had to pick a time, I'd say the last week of April is a safe bet for some good weigh ins. Unless its a full moon. They get busy in April on the moon.;)

Spring Striper Tournament ... extremely possible... I'll have to keep that in mind and jump on board with that SOON - spring is right around the corner...:eek:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would love to see another fluke tourney in the month of July, Duke of Fluke is one of my favorite tournaments, well run, fair 2 level calcutta and has the additional species such as sea bass and bluefish, in addition to single and 5 heaviest.

Also more importantly great captains meeting and even better awards banquet and party.

Only thing is I would like to see earlier start time then 7, I'm a firm believer in early bird gets the worm.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Anyone know a good graphic designer for a shirt design?
That would be...... me :D

Logos, T shirts, entry forms, ads to promote, can even run the whole thing turnkey if you like..... might even plug it in my column if you ask nicely ;)

Margate Funfest (30,000 peeps), Beachstock (10,000 peeps) , Atlantic County Surf fishing Derby, Le Tour de Downbeach, .... all my babies

·
Registered
720 Posts
What about a "Slam" style tournament. Have prizes for individual species, but the save the big money for the guys to get a striper, bluefish and a fluke. Just an idea...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Rachel,
I would keep it simple
Having 3-4 really well ran tournaments during the year. Spring Striper, Fluke, Fall Striper and maybe an offshore tournament.

The key to this is advertising like crazy. Get the word out and let everyone become familiar with CJAM and its ability to run a good tournament. If you guys become know as a great tournament organization people will come.

Being out of Barnegat Light I will fish your tournaments if you open it up to my area, if not I will just fish on the "Get the Net".

Again I think you have to keep it simple and not add a bunch of categories, I find most guys want to fish for one species at a time.

one other option is to run a year long tournament but that is one heck of a job to do.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
forget tuna and do a shark tournament :) makos only.. no blue dogs or threshers... have 3-4 callcuttas and entry... have it the week after sj or before sj would be best since people are pre fishing.. just a though.. people love to party so you have to have a good after party.. 2 day min on the tournament if you ask me.. or fish 2 out of 3 days.. captains choice.. have to fish one day to be able to win..

i woudl do it as followed if it was up to me

750 to get in 5 guys max
1000 calcutta biggest mako each day split 50/50 each day
500 calcutta biggest mako each day split 50/50 each day
250 calcutta biggest mako each day split 50/50 each day
100 each day you fish.. calcutta for biggest blue fish 100% pay out each day

of course the pay outs are subjext to the tournament 10% keeping to make money off the deal.. have fresh baits for people that aren't overly priced.. have some dockage for persons traveling.. limit the miles to 60 miles from the inlet so all boats have a chance like a 20ft mako to a 65 hatt..

maybe just maybe add threshers but i dont like seeing them all die like they do

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
i think it would be great if you did a flounder tournament in early june as stated before, it could be like the duke of fluke, just earlier in the year when the fish are still in the back. Also as stated before i think the after party is what makes the big tournaments as popular as they are, people like to relax and have a beer or two after a long day of fishing
as far as entry fees go i would keep it as low as possible, the monetary prizes dont have to be real big imo and maybe a trophy for first place and a plaque or something for second and third, i say this because the price of a days fishing is pretty high already before you pay an extra 100 bucks for a tournament
what matters to most people is bragging rights IMO

im excited about this and hope it happens it would be a really fun time!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Me and a few buddies of mine were just saying we want to enter a fluke tourney this year!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
i think it would be great if you did a flounder tournament in early june as stated before, it could be like the duke of fluke, just earlier in the year when the fish are still in the back. Also as stated before i think the after party is what makes the big tournaments as popular as they are, people like to relax and have a beer or two after a long day of fishing
as far as entry fees go i would keep it as low as possible, the monetary prizes dont have to be real big imo and maybe a trophy for first place and a plaque or something for second and third, i say this because the price of a days fishing is pretty high already before you pay an extra 100 bucks for a tournament
what matters to most people is bragging rights IMO

im excited about this and hope it happens it would be a really fun time!
I like this idea. This will be my second season of flukin', and I'm not confident to enough enter a $100 tourny. Maybe more newbies would enter with a minimal fee. You could bump it up as it grows. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
No bones has a great tourney the first saturday of fluke season.

food on the dock a great tourney to open the season.
possibly the biggest party on the coast is the duke of fluke out of sterling harbor right near the rio grande bridge.it is a happening.

IT IS IN JULY.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts