BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Went our for the first time (Friday, July 9th)in a while, figured I'd write a little report since I've been lurking. Caught a ton of short flounder up to 16.25" & 5 sandsharks over 48 inches.
Also managed to pilot my jon boat under a nice swell :( . It didn't pop back up like I thought it would, in fact it kind of went under and did a pretty little roll :eek: . Fortunately for me and my fishing buddy we were not too far from the beach. The State Police showed up (Trooper Kevin Eddie) and proceeded to help me more then I ever thought possible. I really owe him alot. By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for a good bay boat?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
jf2l--.glad you came out ok.it said corsons a place that can be very dangerousfor almost any boat but i put were you in the bay,just corecting my oversight.

[ 07-12-2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
789 Posts
JF2L,

Glad to hear that everyone is OK. As noted, that inlet can be a problem for any boat. If you are looking for a good bay boat you might want to start by looking at Carolina Skiff. They make all different sizes of flat bottom and semi-vee hulls that would work in the back waters. Many manufacturers including Triumph, Mako, Tracker Marine, Pathfinder, Robalo, Ranger, Sea Pro, Sea Fox, etc. market "bay boats". I have a Triumph 19' foot bay boat that I am quite happy with. All of the manufacturer's listed have web sites if you want to take a look.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Glad you guys are ok as that inlet can be rouph do to weather ,tide and boat traffic (weekends)I have a 23 ft center and have run that inlet for years. The back bays can get crasy on the w/e as well.Sometimes in the evenings and during the week it looks like a sheet of glass that can and will change in a heartbeat. you may want to consider a skiff as mentioned earlier. I have a 16 ft skiff with trailer located in sea isle city if you want to check it out it is kind of for sale. If interested e-mail me or call the office 609-390-2220

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Glad everything worked out.

Trooper Eddie is a good guy, it doesn't surprise me that he helped you out. I think that he used to work out of the Bridgeton or Maurice River Barracks but I guess he's now with the Marine Police unit.

Good luck with your boat search.

[ 07-13-2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: snichols ]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fin-

You are right the water was like a sheet of glass when we set out in the am. Fished the back channels for 6 hours. I only had to run from the toll bridge to the Rush Chatin bridge to get back to my truck. The run was against tide and wind, my 8Hp Evinrude just couldn't get it up on plane. Knew it could be problems but never thought it would get as bad as it did.
Your 16ft skiff sounds very appealing, how much are you asking? I won't be able to head down until the 23rd or 24th of July, do you have any pics?

Joe

·
Registered
100 Posts
Joe,
Glad I could help you guys out. I agree with you in upgrading to something a little bigger.
Take care,
Kevin Eddy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kevin,

You are only the second barner I know to see. Thanks again for all of your help. That day could have been much worse. You know when I was in the water and heard someone say "don't worry I called the State Police" my first reaction was "Oh Sh^&". Boy was I wrong, if you hadn't showed up I would still be down there waiting for my boat! Thanks again for the advice and for not making me feel dumber then I already felt that day. Hope to meet you someday under better circumstances, I'd definately owe you a beer.

Take Care,
Joe

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Joe, I really just wanted to sell the hull,because I want a faster boat. The boat is a 16 ft chincoteque (looks like a fiberglass garvey)It has high sides,heavy and a long shaft transome.It is a tiller driven boat(no console)which gives you lots of room.I presently have a 25hp on her and she planes of with 1 person but it really needs a 35 to 40 hp (max hp=60)I kinda of hate to sell her as these boats are hard to find.You can definatly get a cheaper boat than this .that being said I would take 1700 for the hull and 400 for the trailer . 2000 for the package and then you find a motor . I dont have any pictures of her but she is in the water at the sea isle city marina slip #69 behind the building. If your serious I could take a picture of it and mail it to you.

·
Registered
32,507 Posts
Wow. What a story. Good thing you came out on top. You can laugh about it some day. Did you damage your Evinrude? Don't overlook Aquasport.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fin-

I will head down and take a look the next time down which should be next weekend.

Scott,
Later that day when we were home and having a beer the days events did seem kind of funny. The Evinrude seems to be okay, I drained the carb and lower unit with good results. What is an Aquasport?

Joe

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Glad everything is OK Joe,
You can go around into the ICW on those bad days especially if you are underpowered I would do it because of all the traffic in that area. Sometimes all the boat wake crazing ontop of one another is way worse that bigger, consistant swells and waves caused just by wind alone. Get a windy day plus many bigger boats coming and going every which way and I go around every time, takes allot longer but it's safer and if you can fish back there are some great spots back there.

Just head North from the toll bridge and make the first right at the day markers then make a right at the ICW and follow back to the Rush. If you have to gas up for the trip you can do it on the strip too.
Hope the motor is OK.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nice to hear you are ok. Corson's can be a dangerous place.

If you are looking for a good bay boat you can't beat a Boston Whaler. They hold up very well, are affordable, and have excellent resale values.

·
Registered
32,507 Posts
are affordable
Boston Whaler? I need a new job :D . They are excellent boats. I rented a 21' Boston Whaler in the Bahamas and I took that boat out front in 5-7 a few times. That sucker was tough. I even got through the nasty inlet without getting wet. My feet were always wet while drifting because following seas were coming into the cutout transom. That was a comfort issue, not a safety issue and I was the only small boat out that day.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
JOe,Glad you and your buddy made out ok....

Speaking of Boston Whaler's..
Check Out This New One for 2005.....

The New 205 Eastport
First-class cruising, economy fare.

Coming for the 2005 model year ? a remarkable new 20-foot cuddy that promises to be one of the greatest values in Whaler history. The all-new 205 Eastport? is the first of our Legend Series of classically designed Whalers to combine cuddy comfort with a large, open cockpit and an exceptionally roomy walkaround, at a price that?s as attractive as its styling. The standard 205 Eastport with a 150-horsepower Mercury Marine OptiMax® engine is priced as low as $41,900 MSRP (price does not include freight, dealer prep, taxes, etc.).

The perfect cuddy cabin for family cruising and fishing, the 205 Eastport comes loaded with features and with the superior materials, fit and finish you expect from an Unsinkable Legend. Small enough to be easily trailered (and available as a boat/motor/trailer package), it?s big enough for you and your family to enjoy all kinds of waterborne activities.

You?ll be amazed at how much cockpit room you?ll find on a boat of this size, plus the amount of recessed walkaround space ? especially at the bow, where you?ll appreciate sure footing and a more secure feeling when you?re docking or anchoring. The Eastport boasts features of far more expensive boats, such as an aluminum-framed, single-piece, curved glass windshield for better visibility and durable service, plus plenty of storage and creature comforts.

The ergonomics are outstanding. From the comfortable bucket helm seat, you?ll find gauges and switches mounted in a high position for easier viewing. And if you want to complement the standard Mercury® SmartCraft? deluxe gauge package, large flat panels to the port and starboard of the helm offer ample room for more electronics.

There?s seating for everyone, with a helm seat, companion seat and two aft quarter seats with backrest bolsters and grab rails. And when you want to get out of the sun or bunk for the night, the lighted cabin offers a comfortable v-berth with concealed porta potti. Just pop open the portholes with screen and enjoy some breeze below.

And you?ll keep the fun moving smartly all day long with the reliable power of the standard 150 XL Mercury OptiMax engine, with options available up to 200 horsepower. Of course, in the Whaler tradition, there are loads of options for you to design your boat your way

[ 07-15-2004, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts