BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started building a fluid bed. I did do a lot of research and I may have started too big. I am using 4" pvc instead of the usual 2-3". But the reason is that I will be dipping mustly 4-10oz bucktails and ear ball jigs. Also ava style jigs in the future. I will be doing lead melting parties and the plan is to pour lead, pop the jig out and dip right away so I don't have to reheat the jig. It is probable that there will be 2-3 people dipping at once which is why I went with the 4". This bed will be dedicated to white powder only for a base coat.

Right now I am having a gyser problem. I have tried all different levels of powder and levels of air flow. I am using a brown bag as a filter and also have powder from harbor frieght. I do not drink coffee so I have no filters to try. Does anyone have any ideas for me on how to get the boil action? Could 4' be to big a bed? Is the HF powder ok to use? I am going to go try a double bag filter after I post this. will get back with the results.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have started building a fluid bed. I did do a lot of research and I may have started too big. I am using 4" pvc instead of the usual 2-3". But the reason is that I will be dipping mustly 4-10oz bucktails and ear ball jigs. Also ava style jigs in the future. I will be doing lead melting parties and the plan is to pour lead, pop the jig out and dip right away so I don't have to reheat the jig. It is probable that there will be 2-3 people dipping at once which is why I went with the 4". This bed will be dedicated to white powder only for a base coat.

Right now I am having a gyser problem. I have tried all different levels of powder and levels of air flow. I am using a brown bag as a filter and also have powder from harbor frieght. I do not drink coffee so I have no filters to try. Does anyone have any ideas for me on how to get the boil action? Could 4' be to big a bed? Is the HF powder ok to use? I am going to go try a double bag filter after I post this. will get back with the results.
Thanks in advance.
Buy a small pack of coffee filters...or ask a friend for a couple.
you don't need a boiling action, just a fluid action when you swirl the cup around...(should look like liquid when you swirl it around):thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Back channel me i sell powder coating eqpt

I can most likely give you a source for the material used in powder hoppers in industrial coating, ie , the fluidized bed material

·
Registered
532 Posts
You can use whichever size you like but damn 4" is alot of powder. I use 2" and 3" which is plenty. I bought a pvc extension for both that I slide on top to use on bigger jigs. No matter what you do white is always the biggest pain in the A$$. It has the most pigment so the hardest to get just right. You can try vacuum cleaner bags.. and brown lunch bags ( not the heavy ones you use to bring food home from the store in). I wound up finding pvc fluid bed cups with polypropylene filters from tj's tackle online. Every color works with them and they come with a lid. Their prices for their fluid bed cups are half, if not 3/4 less than anyone else.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
What size pump ?

Thanks in advance.
I made one with 3 in. pvc. I tried coffee filters, but a thin brown paoer bag works better for me i used a small aquarium pump and returned for the larger model . (petco) If you need to make it deeper for the jig just cut a longer length of pipe, 4 in. is alota powder. I used the 2 oz. bottles that you get in a tackle store and have three jars in the pipe.The largest jig that I have coated is a 8 oz. leadhead ultra minnow. you may have too much air pressure. Once its right the powder will rise and get real fluffy.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I messed around more last night and tonight and now have 1" to 1 1/2" rise on the powder with a nice boil/simmer action. No cloud of powder and only little tiny gysers. Much more like a simmer. A nice improvement imo. I changed the pump to a much larger one. Added another intake to the base and am now using a piece of Tyvek suit for the filter.Tomm. I will dip a sinker to see how it coats. I do agree that there is a lot of powder. I think I will make one out of 3" too to see the difference. Again thanks for the replies.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts