BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all i was with my kids and a friend and his kids messing around fishing with bunker peanut bunker letting the kids experience night fishing with Dad and to my surprise bam my son brings in a flounder 18 inches long. I was like "wow" never seen this before since the fish before this were blues and striper small stripers and then my other son bam flounder my friends sons both hooked up flounder galour! This truely was an amazing feet for i never new the btm dwellers had it in them to top feed? all in all we caught 15 flounder 3 keepers out of the bunch. Tell me is this typical behavior from a flattie at night?
I have other nights at the same spot were 1 or 2 flounder have hit at night but the bait was near the bottom. We were live lineing the bunker and letting them float. My kids had a blast! Just a little feed back would help out if you all new of this happening before. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Although I've never caught a flattie on top, I did have one jump out of the water next to the boat one afternoon. None of us had seen that before. I guess they go where the bait is.

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
NEAT HAPPINGTON AT THE DOCK AREA. RIP-MONSTER JEFF A LURKER BUT GOOD BACKWATER FISHERMAN WAS TRYING TO NET PEANUTS NEXT TO THE BULKHEAD AND STARTED TO TELL THE PEOPLE AROUND THAT THERE IS SOMETHING BIGGER IN THE NET,IT WAS A 4LB FLOUNDER AND JEFF HAD HIS NEXT MEAL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If they have the opportunity, they will definitely come up off the bottom to get it. Especially live peanuts.

Happens to me alot but generally earlier in the year.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Fluke on poppers are pretty fun :D . They love peanuts and will jump clear out of the water for them, given the chance. Fluke are voracious predators, not scavengers like most people think. They don't just eat squid and minnies on the bottom of the channel...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Rob,
I had my largest backbay Flounder one morning
before first light,still very dark out I could
barely see myself.I tossed a Live Finger Mullet
off the Sodbank and a 25"/5lb Fluke Broke Surface
and Gobbled It Up. I orignally Thought it was
a Bass or Weakie that slammed it, much to my
suprise......

Sounds Like You Had A Great Time Out There,
Thanks for Sharing..........

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Flounder fishing can be great at night, we've caught plenty of them on soft plastics at night and a few on large plugs while fishing for stripers. I've taken quite a few big flatties in very shallow water and in certain areas you can even take your limit. If snapper bluefish are really feeding you can count on picking up a few flatties beneath them now.
If the daytime flattie pounders only knew! ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Rob, I have caught them in shallow water a number of times on plugs. I had a nice doormat slip off one night trying to get him over the sod bank at low water.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply all. Interesting to know this I heard of them being caught at night with pinks and while fishing for the striper but never had the action we had with live lineing the bunker and all were on top. Was fun and a new experience which i will not forget. Just another way to enjoy what we all love so much. Thanks again for your input and replys.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Rob,

The biggest flounder that I've caught this year was on a topwater plug at 4:30 in the morning.

BTW, did you and Grim get out this weekend? I was out of town and didn't get a chance to return his call.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I got a short flounder the other night fishing a gotcha plug about 3 feet under the surface in probably about 7 or 8 feet of water.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I saw one caught on a plug at IBSP this past Thurs. at 3 in the afternoon.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
We were cast netting one night and had a lot of silversides flopping around on the dock, so we picked a couple up and put them on little bucktails and started to jerk them across the water, yep, you guessed it, flounder. Never tried it again, but I have had them follow my minnow to the top and then take it. Pretty neat.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wondering do you think they feel safer at night? Coming up so freely to hit the bait? Usally you think of flounder fishing you think bottom fishing. Who knows all I can say is that 15 flounder on bunker live lined was truely fun and light tackle made it even a more joyful experience. The kids were all taken in by it to. I suggest to all of you to give that a try when your out and about stalking your favorite species of fish at night. Remember the flounder.
They arent according to the replys just out in the day time on the bottom. This fishing experience is one that truely has inhanced my already pure feeling for the sport. Thanks again all.

snicols we did fish had a rough time not much around were we were. cloudy water. alot of bait fish though i gathered up for the striper season. would like to get you out with us soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts