BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK its mid February and stupid questions have to come up after a few beers.

Anybody ever fish for fluke at night or catch by accident fluke at night?

Really never give it much thought in the summer time for some reason it only comes up in winter BS sessions.

There maybe some mid-night cult that is actually catching 10lbs+ fluke at night and sworn to secrecy.

This maybe why we dint catch them that much during the day.:D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Biggest fluke I caught on the yak and in the river came at 430am in the morning, pitch black out, on a small bucktail with gulp. Fluke was 6lbs.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Caught a few off the boat at the marina while catching spot. I don't think you hear about it to much because no one fishes for them at night. I just thought of a great idea....fluking at night!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
OK its mid February and stupid questions have to come up after a few beers.

Anybody ever fish for fluke at night or catch by accident fluke at night?

Really never give it much thought in the summer time for some reason it only comes up in winter BS sessions.

There maybe some mid-night cult that is actually catching 10lbs+ fluke at night and sworn to secrecy.

This maybe why we dint catch them that much during the day.:D
Yes some very nice ones have been caught at night around the ICW. Look for spots where the bait is stacked..one type was already mentioned..;) Don't worry about dragging led or touching bottom or depth like during the day..they will come up to mid column and slam a plastic or a subsurface plug. Once you find one, more will prob. be there..good luck.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder if a little glow skirt or light stick above might draw a little attention.

Sure would make sense in the heat of summer and less boat traffic.

I know at night I just have that feeling that you never know what might hit just too cool.

Less witnesses to dispute size (you know that ONE was 10 pound):thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I fish the Del bay a lot at night but always on the hook...usually for stripers. I'm pretty sure you'd catch flounder at night but drifting at night isn't too smart if ya ask me... Maybe worth a try during a bright moon that lets you see somewhat...

I wonder if you have to have your running lights on while drifting at night or your anchor lights?????? Either of which isn't exactly what your doing..........hmmm

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wet dream, the answer is running lights, because you are still under way.

I would drift, I would anchor on a bar near a deep cut and light up my boat like the 4th of july. Point flashlights straight down, underwater lights, heck, id put down a hydroglow. Light up the bottom, and the bait will start to swarm you, and the bigger fish will follow

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Flukin the night tides can be very productive. You really don't think the most notorious predator in the backwater hunkers down and lets the bass, blues and weeks have all the fun do you?

Fluke season for me always starts at 12:01 AM straight through meeting the family at the boat at 6 AM.

RyanF

·
Registered
270 Posts
at night fishin for weakies we use to getem just south of sic in a famous hole area. that was 10 years ago and my neighbor still calls one trip his best fluke trip ever...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
BTW, a 130 PM Friday beer post. Jealous.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Some of my BEST....and Trips with the BIGGEST "Flounder".....have been targeted at night from my Yak :thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
couple of years ago a buddy and I crushed them while striper fishing. anchored in 5 feet of water middle of the night and they destroyed every plastic bait we had, probably 100 fish. ever since then I have been picking away at them at night. i am going to try that same area this spring with a chum pot and float rigs. know it alls say that flounder don't bite at night, but those guys don't really fish at night

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Too many things can go wrong unless your near lights. In a boat drifting the icw in the dark could put you in some nasty places. On the drift at night is tough.fished out front many times in the mid-summer catching a mixed bag but as it got dark the flounder almost stopped. I'm talking inside the traffic area like mcries.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Fished a lot at night and caught very few flounder. Have to admit that I was never out to target them either. What I have noticed is at our dock. When the peanut bunker show up we do real good right at the end of our finger docks. The peanuts usually show up late afternoon and we toss then out on a float just a foot or so off the bottom. We wack the flounder till it's almost dark. Then the stripers and weakies show and no more flounder. It's not like the weakies and stripers are big enough to be a problem for the flounder and there is plenty of bait for all. They just shut down.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts