BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody is mentioning the fact that we are now allowed to slice up one fluke as bait. It has to be of legal size, you must keep the carcass, and it does count as one of your bag limit.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Tedman27 said:
Nobody is mentioning the fact that we are now allowed to slice up one fluke as bait. It has to be of legal size, you must keep the carcass, and it does count as one of your bag limit.
The meeting last night kind of straightened me out. We are not fighting over regulations right now, we are fighting for fishing for fluke at all.

RyanF

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tedman27 said:
Do you really want to slice up a 18 inch fluke for bait?? Go with a Sea Robbin strip you'll be much better off! Trust me a keeper will be much harder to get. Why slice it up for bait?? I can catch just as many if not more on Sea Robbin belly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
RyanF said:
The meeting last night kind of straightened me out. We are not fighting over regulations right now, we are fighting for fishing for fluke at all.

RyanF
You got that right! I saw this comming years ago when they put the limit at 13 inches.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I would rather just use ribbons soaked in shedder oil from cleaned from the last trip.:cool:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
squidlipps said:
Do you really want to slice up a 18 inch fluke for bait?? Go with a Sea Robbin strip you'll be much better off! Trust me a keeper will be much harder to get. Why slice it up for bait?? I can catch just as many if not more on Sea Robbin belly.
No way, I'm not slicing up an 18" fish for bait! I was just passing the word. If and when I use fluke belly, I'm still use ribbons from the last trip like A Frayed Knot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A Frayed Knot said:
I would rather just use ribbons soaked in shedder oil from cleaned from the last trip.:cool:
Just a warning... If you use the ribbons from the last trip you have to have the rack to go with it. You have to prove were the ribbons came from and that they didnt come from a short. Stick with the Sea Robbon and avoid the chance of a fine.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
squidlipps said:
Just a warning... If you use the ribbons from the last trip you have to have the rack to go with it. You have to prove were the ribbons came from and that they didnt come from a short. Stick with the Sea Robbon and avoid the chance of a fine.
I have been doing this for years. I don't use them in the bay. But when I fish on the ocean side I do not leave the dock without them. This whole save the rack thing is a crock of sh!t. All that does is give people an unlimited supply of fresh belly with one half of a rack sacrificed.:cool:

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
A Frayed Knot said:
I have been doing this for years. I don't use them in the bay. But when I fish on the ocean side I do not leave the dock without them. This whole save the rack thing is a crock of sh!t. All that does is give people an unlimited supply of fresh belly with one half of a rack sacrificed.:cool:
How many people would keep the rack until they limited out, then chuck the rack and the ribbons and then catch one more legal fluke on squid?

All this is is motivation to sacrifice a legal fish unneccessarily.

BS rule. The strips I always use are the white ones on the bottom on the perimeter of the filet. They are the longest, and usually too thin to really eat, so it's no big loss. NO WASTE. God forbid, right?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
BT3100 said:
Fresh strips always seem to trump last trips strips...
If you slice correct you can remove the ribbons, which do not get eaten anyway and have the best bait possible for fluke ;)
Yeah, but wouldn't they then just bust your *** for "mutilating a fish at sea"?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
squidlipps said:
YUP!! You MUST have the rack with you.
You would in this case.

You catch a keeper fluke and cut off the two "outside" ribbons on the bottom side (not the whole filet), and then put the fluke in the cooler for later filleting and eating.

You have the rack, except it's not a rack yet.

Is that ok (I'm starting to think it is now), or does that count as "mutilating" a fish?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
JoeyZac said:
You catch a keeper fluke and cut off the two "outside" ribbons on the bottom side (not the whole filet), and then put the fluke in the cooler for later filleting and eating.

You have the rack, except it's not a rack yet.

Is that ok (I'm starting to think it is now), or does that count as "mutilating" a fish?
This was going to be my approach but like you stated, is it is mutilation?:cool: Honest officer, I am a bad gaffer.:eek: I guess more research is needed.:mad:

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Never - Satisfied said:
This was going to be my approach but like you stated, is it is mutilation?:cool: Honest officer, I am a bad gaffer.:eek: I guess more research is needed.:mad:
I think you HAVE to be ok so long at it's only 1 fish you mutilate - that counts as your "rack".

Where I could see the problem is if you have multiple keepers in your cooler and you have "deribboned" all of them to get the ribbons\edges without losing\using an entire under belly\filet.

Insane that we even need to think about things like this.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
JoeyZac said:
I think you HAVE to be ok so long at it's only 1 fish you mutilate - that counts as your "rack".

Where I could see the problem is if you have multiple keepers in your cooler and you have "deribboned" all of them to get the ribbons\edges without losing\using an entire under belly\filet.

Insane that we even need to think about things like this.
Well if that is the ruling then you might as well use the entire belly because the two outside strips won't last long. If the boat doesn't have their limit and all fish are legal it shouldn't matter in my opinion. The next step will require us to take our fish to a checking station.:mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts