BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in dick's sporting good in Delaware buying my fishing license and the the salesman ask what a bag limits are in new jersey for fluke fishing this year and l stated to him that it was 18inch and 8 fish. When I ask him if Delaware was the same as last year he stated no. This past week the Delaware fish and game raised that size to 19.5 inch and 4 fish person. Is this right for the regs for Delaware fluke season. Is it getting to the point that it is not worth fishing for fluke in Delaware and the only reason to buy the license is to fish for striper and drum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,065 Posts
offshore211 said:
I was in dick's sporting good in Delaware buying my fishing license and the the salesman ask what a bag limits are in new jersey for fluke fishing this year and l stated to him that it was 18inch and 8 fish. When I ask him if Delaware was the same as last year he stated no. This past week the Delaware fish and game raised that size to 19.5 inch and 4 fish person. Is this right for the regs for Delaware fluke season. Is it getting to the point that it is not worth fishing for fluke in Delaware and the only reason to buy the license is to fish for striper and drum.
It's tough complying with Jersey Fluke laws but Delaware and New York are even more restrictive.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
If option 5 was selected it is 4 fish @ 19.5 inches no closed season. I was hoping for option 3 which was 4 fish @ 19 inches, season closed from 5-11-08 to 6-1-08. Looks like my rig of choice is a live skipjack bridled with a 12/0 circlehook for the keepers! It's getting tougher to comply with these ridiculous regs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,552 Posts
Ain't worth buying them DAMM dandy Delaware taxfees to fish!! I ain't buying it! Striper/drum NO frekin way! It's bad enough we had to pay for a stupid tax for operating a boat in jersey suks state! even if we pass the "Coast Guard" classes that took plase over many sessions to reaffirm in our brains the water way laws! Now the small capital letters "state" say's give us 60 and take a retard test and get your "NEW" taxable tax to navigate the waters of sinkable tankers of the fines bay! What the #@() is going wrong with this state of political cronies and their pay compensations/contractor award kickbacks given to administrators after they leave office and can't be cought with corruption??? It's happiniong right under our stinkin noses as these bums govern our money!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I can't believe there hasn't been more of an uproar about the fluke regs. An 18" fish is one big fluke. I have fished for a long time and can't remember the last time I caught 8 fish over 18". That is considered a day to remember for most, now it is only a limit. It is really going to kill party boat/charter business and will unfortunately contribute to more and more guys doing a fillet and release. How many guys are going to blow $100+ in gas (on a good day), another $20 in bait and not take home any fish, weeding through 20 fish to keep 1? This fishery "management" is an absolute debacle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
How many dead ?

How many under 18 go back hurt or dead by the time they are unhooked and released? I know last year some of my throw backs didn't live and it is a waste because if I could have kept the hurt ones they would taste just as good.I just go for a dinner not to fill freezer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,545 Posts
I almost do all my fluke fishing in DE waters, even with those limits, 19.5 ect, I would have days without throwbacks per my last year trips as noted in my logbook. I fished many days in DE last year and somedays I didn't toss one fish back.

But those are some numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Im a delaware fisherman and i was hoping for option 3. Once you start losing days they want to close everything. I got 285 keeper flounder in my log book. I only had 35 over 19.5. I still say flounder are fine start worrying about weakfish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,608 Posts
JarJar said:
Im a delaware fisherman and i was hoping for option 3. Once you start losing days they want to close everything. I got 285 keeper flounder in my log book. I only had 35 over 19.5. I still say flounder are fine start worrying about weakfish.
Whats a weakfish?I thought they were extinct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,224 Posts
BullFloat said:
How many under 18 go back hurt or dead by the time they are unhooked and released? I know last year some of my throw backs didn't live and it is a waste because if I could have kept the hurt ones they would taste just as good.I just go for a dinner not to fill freezer.
There is no reason for a single fish to die after you release it. It is illegal to keep, kill, or injure undersize fish. If the hook is not in the mouth I quikly cut the leader and get it back in the water. I keep a box of 100 fluke hooks on the dash of my boat. Sportfishing Magazine reported this month that the biologist estimate that the kill after release is actualy two to three times the legal qouta. They figure this into the qouta. We all need to be careful about how we treat the shorts. There is no reason to even bring a short into the boat. Bend over and remove the hook or cut it off while the fish is still in the water. This is starting to become the law on some species in Florida and will soon become the law on the whole coast so get used to it. Some claim circle hooks are better at hooking fluke in the mouth. I have had mixed results with circles maybe because I was trying real small ones last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,065 Posts
Talked with a fishing buddy who is down in Flordia catching different species. GET THIS: Flounder 10 per day and 12" minimum. That's right TWELVE INCHES is all they have to be!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,545 Posts
barrell said:
There is no reason for a single fish to die after you release it. It is illegal to keep, kill, or injure undersize fish. If the hook is not in the mouth I quikly cut the leader and get it back in the water. I keep a box of 100 fluke hooks on the dash of my boat. Sportfishing Magazine reported this month that the biologist estimate that the kill after release is actualy two to three times the legal qouta. They figure this into the qouta. We all need to be careful about how we treat the shorts. There is no reason to even bring a short into the boat. Bend over and remove the hook or cut it off while the fish is still in the water. This is starting to become the law on some species in Florida and will soon become the law on the whole coast so get used to it. Some claim circle hooks are better at hooking fluke in the mouth. I have had mixed results with circles maybe because I was trying real small ones last year.
Great post. I can always buy new hooks and I only use them for one trip anyhow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I thought that each state was assigned a certain tonnage of fish to harvest based on historical data. Then each state presents a harvest plan that they believe satisfies the quota assigned to them.
If that’s the case then I believe that states with shared border waters should communicate with each other and see if they can’t find similar size limits. I’m sure that it wouldn’t be easy but it might cause less frustration between anglers for those states.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top