BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got a boat and started to learn how to fish for bass and blues this year. I have been fishing in the Raritan this spring. We did pretty good. Now I need to learn how to fish for fluke. I know you need to drift, I know the 1 in Keyport and behind the hook are some of the popular spots, I believe you use squid strips for bait, but that is all I know. ANY and all help will be appreciated! Depending on what is hotter I may be trying this next Wednesday if the bass bite is slow.

[ 06-06-2006, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Seaclusion ]

·
Registered
682 Posts
The standard flounder rig I use is a 3 way swivel with a 36" leader and a 5/0 or 4/0 hook. A large minnow and a pennant of squid about 3-4" long is the standard bait. Use as little lead as needed to hold bottom. The lead should be tied on to about an 8" leader. Make sure your bait is on the bottom. Strip baits like herring, flounder belly, shad, bluefish, shark, or sea robin are also good producers. Live spot, mullet, peanut bunker or small bluefish are great baits too. A chunk of chicken on a bucktail or a plain hook dressed with a chartreuse curly tail is also a hot bait in the spring.

Bucktails tipped with a minnow, a strip of cut bait, or a 3" Gulp shrimp is also a popular, although I have never caught a thing on the Gulp shrimp. Jigs with a Zoom, Fin-S, or SW assasin are what I have been using mostly this year.

When fishing live bait or large strip baits, I open the bail and let about 6' of line out after feeling the bite (often just a slight tap). I wait about 5 or six seconds or until the drift takes up the slack before setting the hook. Flounder take live bait from the back but turn it around in their mouths to swallow it head first.

Try edges of channels drifting from shallow to deep or around pilings or other structure for starters.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Yes....always drop back some after feeling the bite. I love line like fireline or spiderwire for flounder fishing. You can feel every little tap.. Play with different colors teasers also. Some days they only like green ....some days red.....some days white. You'll find that one color outproduces another hands down on some days. I'm a standard top+bottom rig with squid and minnie on each hook.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Good point on the colors, WetDream....Pink has outproduced every single other color I have used this year. Chartreuse was second, and white was a distant third. Some colors are highly dependent on the light conditions. Light colors for bright days darker colors for overcast days. Pink seems to be the one color that works great under all light conditions. This year I have learned that the only time you dont want to drop back is when you are jigging artificials.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Swim over top of fluke , pull all three bands into slots on top of spear, aim behind the flukes head , pull trigger , put fluke on stringer , EASY :D

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Fish ambrose channel in the summer! loaded with fluke and big ones too! got to wait til its warmer though

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Pink/white curly tail grub.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Key to fluking in Amebrose channel which depths run 80 - 100 ft is getting and staying on the bottom. We fish with heavy to medium fast action rods with conventional level line reels spooled with 50# PP. Leaders can be 20 -40# floro. Yes pink is the hot color of choice. Single hook 4/0 - 5/0 dressed with spearing or sand eel and squid combo work great. A treaser on a drop loop works on somedays also. Live snapper blues are for the bigguns. Hold squid with stinger rigs work when looking for doormats. Fish with little weight as possible but some times you'll need 12-16 oz. to hold when tide is running hard. Pump the rod hard. Fresh bait is always recommended but the spearing and sand eels are dead baits. I've use minnows at times but not required when fishing the ocean at hook.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Bucktails with any kind of fresh fish work (strips)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
bucktail and mack will work.in the heat of summer go with a killie "or minnow'" and fish it deep.also try some plastics.some of my best days have been on differant color zooms any walmart or bait shop will have them.as you get into it you will see that peanuts"baby bunker" will get you the fish!!!but start slow and "spend time on the water and it all falls into place in time.keep in mind that to just go simple,the less crap you have on your line the better.most of the time all the colors and feathers and beedes ,just sell you ,not the the fish.hope i helped ,matt ps let me know how you do!!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Yes we do use 30 or 50 lb power pro but this is the same set up for striper fishing. You don't need the heavier but it doesn't hurt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts