BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me the fluke fishing is done with as of yesterday. I won't get out the rest of the week.

So how do you make out numbers and size wise.

pretty good year for me

18 keepers
from 19" to the 27" the biggest.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Way better year for me than last year. I only caught two keepers in the DE. Bay and a handful out in the ocean last year. I got 19 keepers, mostly in the bay to 25" this year. Missed a couple trips due obligations or would of had more.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Very similar to last year for me.

Strong start opening week in the bay.
Very little results, because of very little effort in bay in May/June/July (I don't try because of the bugs).
Strong results for a 3 week stretch in late Aug/early Sep out on the reefs.

My only real complaint is that I wish the ocean bite would start sooner.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Awesome start to the season in the bay...had some epic days with dozens of fish and some nice keepers..had 2 days with my limit...last keeper in the bay was 6/28 then the small fish moved in...had 1 good day in the ocean on 8/9 with 6 keepers...then it all went to crap from there..could not buy a fish after that..my total for the season was 25 keepers and maybe 150 shorts...

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
331 tagged up to 25" and 19 kept for dinners between 10-24"

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Yea I think I'm done too, I'm still saying a prayer the weather gods will let us out Saturday. The last two years were complete opposites for me. Last year I couldn't catch a fish early in the season in the bay to save my life, but we lit it up on the reefs and wrecks pretty much every trip. This year I lit it up in the back early on, but the reef fishing was sub par (although I only got out about 5 times due to weather and other obligations).

Didn't keep track of how many, but my biggest was 28 followed by a 27 both of which were caught on the same day. A handful more over 25" and plenty of fish over 22". All in the back. On the reefs I didn't get anything over 24" which is disappointing because I love catching those big ones in deep water - buts that's fishing.

·
Registered
757 Posts
First year with a old grounds capable boat. Best year ever. Love fishing the old grounds area so much better than del. Bay imo. Lots of limits to about six pounds.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Early season was very good… The start of the season saw a steady pick of low 20 inch fish all the way up to the first week in July when the bite seemed to get epic, then tapered off to a slow pick for the rest of the summer.. Last few weeks out front were fun on TI reef nothing to really write home about with my last trip out front ended in 5 stitches and a cut so deep I could see the bone and ligaments… waahh! Last week tho we were up off fire island in 20 fathom an we had a nice pick, with nice fish in the 5-6 lb range and a few in the 8-10 lb range… :) Nice way to end the season!!!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Early season was very good… The start of the season saw a steady pick of low 20 inch fish all the way up to the first week in July when the bite seemed to get epic, then tapered off to a slow pick for the rest of the summer.. Last few weeks out front were fun on TI reef nothing to really write home about with my last trip out front ended in 5 stitches and a cut so deep I could see the bone and ligaments… waahh! Last week tho we were up off fire island in 20 fathom an we had a nice pick, with nice fish in the 5-6 lb range and a few in the 8-10 lb range… :) Nice way to end the season!!!
how did you get the injury and where did you get the stitches ?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Fishing in the Strathmere/Ocean City back bays about once a week from opening day until last Sunday, we had 103 on the boat with 15 keepers up to 24". Last year only 38 flounder but 20 keepers (of course the size limit was lower in 2013). Fish
Fish Recreation Fish Fishing

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fished backbay Ocean City and OC Reef. Had a much better season then last year with many more fish caught and also more keepers up to 25". Had a lot of nice fish just under the size limit. I'll be happy if next year is as good. Never had a trip with catching a couple of fish but of course didn't always get keepers.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
On my boat, 98 TB to 25 keepers on 6 trips. Biggest fish was 23 1/2" but def lost a bigger one at OG halfway up

·
Registered
112 Posts
This was my best year I can remember, hundreds of throwbacks but many over 17, over 80 fish on one backbay trip, total keepers around 25, all backbay and OC reef, 5 fish that were 24 and my personal best of 26 caught a few weeks ago. Hopefully more of the same next year.

·
Registered
14,812 Posts
Crushed them in real shallow water for the first 3 weeks up to 5.5 lbs. seemed the water was warm early then rolled over and cooled off quickly. Seemed like the bigger fish headed out and we were left with a lot of juvie fish. Had to pick thru the smaller ones to get a limit. Pretty much gave up on them until late August. From then Until now (when you could get out) the wrecks and reefs have been on fire.

Overall, pretty good year for us on the flatties.

·
Banned
16,479 Posts
I am trying tomorrow near GE inlet but overall I had a great season. 18 keepers with most over 20" and the biggest to 25".Fished 1-3up times a week. Not many throwbacks until later in the seaon. All fish caught in the back near Sp and OC.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
how did you get the injury and where did you get the stitches ?
On a center console ,reaching for a rod under the steering, a wave rocked the boat and I fell into the birth area. I put my had out and caught my pinky at the last knuckle on something inside? Not quite sure, all kinda happened really fast. Just another day in the life of me…..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts