BASS BARN banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I had a great start, boating 8 keeper sized fish in one day in early June. From there it slowed down to 0-3 keepers a trip. I did not get to do any ocean trips, and I did not get any big fish this year. I still can't figure out how to fluke the surf. Wrong place? Wrong time? I suck?

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
..... I still can't figure out how to fluke the surf. Wrong place? Wrong time? I suck?
wait, that's my line.

and I know I'll get my season best from the surf after the season closes, has happened multiple years when big baits are in :(

I did poor, every time I had a chance to get out, it was blowing 20 knots, or the wrong tide, or {fill in your excuse}. I don't fish the ocean, just the back, but for me (and I think I did worse than anyone I've spoken with this year) very poor.

I can say I lost my personal best, getting it boatside and having one shot at it with the net before it dove and broke the line. A monster for the back.

Another thing I did, which I won't try by myself again, is fish more bucktails (with teaser) ... not the 3 way leader arrangement. And, apparently I suck at bucktailing. Did better later (but all shorts) with the more "regular" flounder rig rather than bucktail.

Ah well, eventually maybe I'll learn.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Rob, I fished the bay behind sandy hook most of the season. Back there jigs worked great early and then died out being effective.

I went back old school, sinker on bottom high low rig and no jewerly on line. Bait holder hooks and single spearing. That rig clobbered the fluke. I did jig the rig a bit, kept it moving.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That fat lady has finally song her last tune for 2014 fluke season. Consistency is how I can describe the 2014 season for me as only had 2 bad trips as weather was horrible on one trip and I just sucked on Tagged fish trip. Sorry Chad for not carrying my wait. With current size limit and regulations it was a pretty good year. Most of the fishing was done up north out of Atlantic Highlands - Pt Pleasant area with 2 trips in RI and last trip out of NY. Key to catching keepers for us was targeting structure.

53 fish were caught on bucktail rig with 2 caught deadsticking giant squid on 2hook rig. Only fished that rig once as we are normally fishing sticky stuff most of the year. My most effective rig was Custom bucktail rig I tie:
* 30 lb leader. I use fluoro but I do not think it makes a difference.
* Bucktail on bottom with stinger hook attached.
* 18 inches above bucktail on dropper loop a slide parachute mylar teaser to dropper and attach 6" inch Gulp grub on 6/0 Gami baitholder or 5/0 worm hook (Gami/VMC/Trokar) placed far back on grub. I caught on white/glow and plain bucktails and Glow/Shine/Nuclear chicken grubs. Not sure if color of grub or bucktail made much of a difference. Maybe others can comment on what worked best for them in regards to type of rigs and color.

Caught allot of bigger fish on the stinger, fishing long stripped baits or smaller strip on bucktail and 6" grub on stinger was most effective.
10 trips total for the year. Best trip 12 Keepers and worst trip 1 keeper. Only keeping boat limit so please no comments on trips where more than 5 keepers were caught. Lot of nice 3-5 lb. fish this year which look nice in the cooler but do not do much for tournament fishing. Not many big fish this year as best I could manage was 8 pounds.

RI Charter 9 keepers
RI Charter 12 keepers
Bacala 7 keepers
Legacy 4 keepers
Bacala 4 keepers
Bacala 2 keepers
Monger 5 keepers
Tagged Fish 1 keeper
Jersey Key - 6 keepers
NY Charter - 5 keepers

Total: 10 Trips = 55 Keepers = 5.5 Average

I am very blessed to fish with some great fluke fisherman and captains who work hard to put us on the fish. Hopefully next year will catch the right fish on the right day. Focus will now be switching over to my bucktooth obsession. Hopefully the powers above will not mess to much with fluke regulations next year as they have many of us brainwashed to think that ending up with a limit catch nowadays = a good day of fishing.
Best of luck to all this winter and for next years fluke season.
Alex
MVP
Fish Flatfish Fishing Monkfish Flounder
Cuisine
Fish Fish Recreation Vacation
Sky Horizon Body of water Sunset Sea

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
wait, that's my line.

and I know I'll get my season best from the surf after the season closes, has happened multiple years when big baits are in :(

It happens every year. I get a 26 inch fluke on a bomber in early november or a doormat on a bunker chunk in the Del bay. It kills me to throw it back. I gladly catch and release most bass but a fluke?! It is the worst feeling watching that meat swim away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not a good year for me.I fish out of Manasquan and it was tough going most of the summer. Lots of cold water early in the summer did not help. We had one nice day the whole summer with 10 keepers with three people on board. Next season regs are not looking good hope the bass season is better.

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
We did good north of GE inlet earlier in the season, last 2 trips was over 100 shorts… think 1 keeper the next day by my bro in law. If the mullet show up we’d get some keepers following them, but haven’t seen any yet where we fish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Up and down this year with water temps all over the place. Started off decent in the bay, only 1 trip with out a keeper. Out front we've got at least 2 keepers every trip. I'm up to 10 keepers and 13 total for my boats.
Gonna start trying for tog real soon and try to get our sea bass as well before drifting the pieces for flounder.
The tuna itch has been pretty scratchy for me so we've spent some days chasing them rather than flounder fishin

21 - 33 of 33 Posts