BASS BARN banner

Fluke in the back?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  The Edge 
#1 ·
What's the earliest anyone has caught a Fluke in the back?

#5 ·
End of March, during one of our mild winters a few years ago. My best trip ever was April 5th of the same year. The fish were stacked in a 12-foot hole surrounded by shallow flats. My buddy and I had 64 flounder in a 3 hour time-span, but could not legally keep one! Most of the fish were 18-24 inches too. Needless to say I dislike the May opening to the season. I'd like to see different regs for backwater vs ocean, but I guess thats just too complicated.

#10 ·
Originally posted by striper2278:
March! and big!
Remember the trip in the Rain with all the 5 pounders,the warden watched us the whole time from land,that was around the 3rd week of march :cool:

#12 ·
Originally posted by striper2278:
March! and big!
yes! Back in the good old days (no dated season) used to put the boat in late March and catch some of the biggest thru April. Last few yrs. I haven't even put the boat in until late April, 1st week of May :(

#17 ·
Yep, best fluking in the back bays most years, depending on water temps is in April! Our season could be lengthened this year, since we underfished but don't bet on it, our NJ fisheries managers will end up giving our underage to NY, despite public opinion in return for nothing, watch! Hey Frank, how bout them Eagles :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.