BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a little disagreement with my dad about when to fish for fluke. My question to everyone is if you can catch fluke on a consistent basis from sunset on? My position was that the bite turns off after like 5.

·
Registered
408 Posts
After 5, no way! I have slayed them up to sunset in the bay when the ride was right. In fact last week I had a charter and my two clinets had 11 keepers to 7 pounds and 30 throwbacks in the bay. Most of the action was bewtween 5 and 7:30.

I have also caught them on plugs from the surf in the dark from October through Novemeber.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Idon't think I would target them at night (usually go for stripers and weekies), but I wouldn't be surprised if I caught one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They feed at night. The biggest flounder I ever caught, 28 inches, was caught at midnight while I was anchored up tossing clam for stripers at the 2 mile bridge in July.

They say that the flounder feed differently at night. In the daytime they hunker down in their camoflage and and wait for fish to pass by, sort of like trappers, and at night they are up in the water column, hunting.

I believe it, because I've caught many at night livelining Peanut Bunker right by the bulkheads. I used to think it was blues or weakies popping those pbs up, but at least some of the time, its a bunch of very agressive fluke.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I fished an all nighter in Sandy Hook three years ago with a guy from another site. We planned on tossing flies for bass.

I started with a black deceiver (my night time go to fly) and he had on a green over white jiggy.

We had nothing till around 2:30 3 am when he hooked up with a fluke like 20 feet of the beach. Released it. He proceeded to land five or six fish next to me and I aint even getting hit.

He pulled out his flybox and handed me one of his jiggies. I got hit first cast and pulled one in.

We released them all - because we didnt have a cooler

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Uh, now you gone and done it Bass ackwards! My wife would kill me if I walked into the in my nasty waders! Not to mention the fish gets cleaned in the back yard! Of course though, if I had caught a fluke that size... I may have lost my head also. Nice fish :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by bass ackwards:
Sweet, Very Nice Fattie Flattie BassAckwards..

And to anwser your orignal question about fluking at night. Yes,I have seen some very impressive Fluke caught under the cover of darknest.
And in alot of occasions like me we catch them by accident while fishing for Bass and Weakies at night...I picked up one of my largest 25"/5lbs while livelining a Mullet in the backbay (ICW) at 3AM in the morning... We also
have them attack our swimming lures about a foot below the surface and especially if you are using a teaser in front of the plug at night..

[ 08-09-2005, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
So, NIGHTSTRIKES, do I want my presentation moving at all times? Are these flounder buried, lying in ambush? Do they activley seek out prey? Will they eventually find my bait stuck to the bottom?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.