BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys use whole squid while fluking? It the only thing I use when drifting the Ambraose and fishing the reefs. You have to fight through the dogfish but it I always catch some big fish. Just wonder who else uses this method.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
oreint point

they use whole squid on those early season doormats out there

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
When rigged with a stinger hook, they're deadly. They do produce some nice size flatties. Also, when the mate is cutting up the squid on a head boat for bait, grab the squid noggins. Most times they throw them out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We have been using them for years on a dead stick rod. I've been tying the rigs we've used for years since they stopped selling them, or atleast we couldn't find them anymore, but they work great.

One day we were struggling to hold bottom and squid/spearing combos weren't doing anything and the one rod with the squid on it was catching fish left and right, so we decided to use whole squid on every rod and we ended up limiting out, i guess with the way they were moving threw the water they were just too good to not hit.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
tht how to catch the big boys on the reefs put a singer on or u may be losing alot of bait

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have had guys on my charters use them a number of times and have caught fish with them. Squid is an important component of a fluke's diet and in certain parts of the season is about 10-20% of their diet. My general observation, though, is that we catch more big fish using strip baits. I think the reason is that strip baits are better attractants due to their fluttering motion when rigged properly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Capt Harv said:
I have had guys on my charters use them a number of times and have caught fish with them. Squid is an important component of a fluke's diet and in certain parts of the season is about 10-20% of their diet. My general observation, though, is that we catch more big fish using strip baits. I think the reason is that strip baits are better attractants due to their fluttering motion when rigged properly.
about how big are the whole squid you use. And do you use a fishfinder rig with them.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
b2's

we use them when were fishing deep 80-100ft. they work well. a stinger rig is your best option we use 5/0 gami octos, one in the tip of the mantel and the other 3-4" below. let 'em eat.
-ZAR

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use this every year however find the bigger ones just way to, well, big to use! Whenever I buy a box of frozen ones I look to see which has the most small-medium ones. Throw it on a stinger rig with a few splitshots. I too use mine as a dead stick while jigging, and its proven to work amazingly. A buddy of mine made a rig where he actually has spearing on hooks also hanging back behind the squid, looks a bit complicated but its worked well for him

Anyone know where one could purchase a box of all smaller squid?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fluke Baits

I was in a the restaurant business for years and turned a couple of bait and tackle shops on to my local seafood distributor . Seafood distributors sell it by different size categories. If you tell them what you are doing with it they'll work with you on price. Once in a while I would order 60-100 lbs and break it up amongst my boys to use some would refreeze it and repackage it for later trips. Fresh squid can be as cheap as 1.59lb in the summer months a huge savings.
Go to your local seafood store where they have fresh squid and they can pick out all the whole smaller squid for you and take em home and repackage them into smaller bags to freeze or even better use them fresh and their dynamite.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Fluke ?

Fifty fluke over 4#'s last year 50% on whole's ,don't work well until late season,not as consistent in early summerr.
Used them for five seasons now plenty of esxpierance riggering two hooks a must,asist hooks in 4/0 desigmned for jigs med length work well as stinger or snell dual hooks using the slide method for second hook so you can adjust to each size squid. However its been my observation when thy are on squid they hit with a vengence even with squid single hooked thru a jig head!
Deepwater / tides I use 6 /8oz jigs Pro Fish glo squids with wholes work really well . Of course you have to be on the fish to be successful.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
conshykid said:
I agree with Capt Harv my fav bait is fluke bellies cut into 8 to 10inch strips.
I have to agree with you Ant. I will take fresh strips over anything. I find if you tip them with different goodies at different times of the year the combos can be deadly also. I also think gold hooks make a huge difference....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find the bigger ones better

Box squid at the bait store has to many small ones. I get the three pound pack from shoprite and fish the biggest ones I can find. I have sucess with the year round but the dogfish kill me. It seems I have to fish through alot more junk then squid and sperring my dad uses but in the end it almost always pays off. Especially when we have to fish the 19.5 limit which is now 20.5. I also use the stinger hook leaving it about six inches behind. Because the dogfish seem to break the stingers off I have enough line to just retie the stinger. I may get a flat of 6 to 8 inchers in Cape may this summer.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
rusin06 said:
about how big are the whole squid you use. And do you use a fishfinder rig with them.
The charters have brought squid from 4 up to about 8 inches. I like to use a rig with a three way swivel. Rig consists of a couple beads (chartreuse or glow), spinner, another bead, 3-5 inch B-2 squid, then a 4/0 hook, then 4inch mono with a second 2/0 hook. Don't worry about the baits looking big. Sometimes I joke and say fluke have body dysmorphic syndrome. Another words they think they can eat very large baits for their size. And sometimes they do! We have caught 14 inch fluke on live spot. Also one day my friend caught a fluke that looked like it had a tumor in its stomach. When we opened it up, it had a huge squid in its stomach, almost as long as the fluke.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts