BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, MCH, and Eric who helped us with the beating on the beach fished for fluke on one of those 3/4 day party boats out of Belmar. We came out of SRI and headed due North. First stop was just off the beach in shallow water. We picked through shorts and I managed a keeper on a bucktail. We continued hit this area till the bite seemed to stop. In the morning we had a nice drift but in the afternoon the drift was not there.
All I can say is that that damn penny color gulp shrimp beat up the fluke and everything else.
In the morning after landing the 1st keeper on a bucktail I then caught 2 more keepers on the gulp rigged above the bucktail along with many other shorts. The gulp caught at least 12 of my 15 or so total fluke and 2 of my 3 keepers.
After a very sloooow afternoon becsause of the drifting situation we hit some other areas and added a few sea bass and some ling to the cooler. Yup all these fish ate the gulp as well.

That fish that ate the bucktail in the morning ended up being the pool winner and it weighed between 4.5 and 5 lbs. Which was good for 210 dollars and a smile :D

As a boat we did not do great but some people did managed 2 or 3 fish for the table. It should pick up as the weather stabalizes for the summer.
The total for our cooler was 3 fluke 2 sea bass and one big ling.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Nice job on the pool winner! :D

·
Registered
789 Posts
A $210 fluke. Nice!!! About how far above the buck did you have the gulp shrimp? I'm looking to hit that same general area Friday or sat if the weather gods play nice.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a dropper loop and then cut the bottom of the dropper close to the knot so that I had one long piece of mono hanging off the main leader. This piece was about 18 inches. Then about 20 inches below that was the bucktail.
When it was out of water the shrimp hung just above the bucktail.
Mch had his rigged on a dropper without cutting it and further above the bucktail and he had to change to my setup.

Me and Loosedrag will be going out of SRI on his ride one day this weekend. Let me know what your plans are later in the week and maybe we will see you out there. ;)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Thanks for the info TSS. I usually don't put much faith in the NOAA forecast until the day before. I'll let you know on Thursday which day we are going to head out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts