BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished alone aboard my "Bertha" for fluke from ~1:30 PM til 5:30 PM.

Tried many of the traditional early season hot spots from the mouth of the Shrewsbury River out to the Coast Guard ledge.

Tons of short fluke, sea robins and bluefish kept me busy from start to finish. At times, it was drop-n-reel action and I was hooking up as fast as I could get the lines back in the water. :eek:

Ended the day with 5 fluke that were big enough to be NJ keepers. Kept the 3 largest at 17.5, 17.75 & 19.75 inches, while releasing 2 at 17. Must have had at least 15-20 sea robins including a bunch of fat, pregnant ones that were releasing jelly-like eggs all over the boat when you would unhook them. :mad:

Most action was on squid/spearing combos fished in shallow depths from 6 - 20 feet, but there seemed to be fish spread out in some deeper water as well. Fish were striking very aggressively, and I suspect that bucktails would have produced just as effectively.

Winds from the E/SE at ~10 knots most of the afternoon with water temps ranging from 69 - 72 degrees.

Just a little more practice, and I'll be ready for the JCAA tourney on Saturday! ;) ;)

- Gr8ful

[ 06-07-2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Gr8ful One ]

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Not a bad day out. Ill see ya out there Saturday. Good luck to you and your crew. Hopefully we can find some bigger ones.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
we fished mouth of shrewsbury friday and had our limit of sixteen up to 23 inches 4 1/2 lbs.biggest fish caught in skinney water under 12 feet.mostly shorts in the channels.first limit of the year for me.almost had it with 7 the previous tue trip to the same area.killies worked the best.(we be fishn bros) 16 ft duranautic will be on the fish again soon if the weather breaks.lets have more reports from sandy hook bay.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That Coast Guard ledge is amazing, isn't it? Have fished it for years, and yes, you can bucktail (mostly short) fluke like the bejeezus there.
Still sloooow here in the Barnegat Inlet area, for me, anyway. Maybe this weekend, I sense a major fluke movement underway. The bluefishing has perked up in the bay, anyway.
Even though it's not as eye pleasing as the southern waters, the Hook is king!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Another Excellent Report Gr8Ful One,, Thanks A Bunch....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
weather gave us a break today!! not a drop of rain and very little wind.the three of us went thru a quart of killies today which produced 19 keepers up to 4 pounds 10 oz.again shalows under 10 feet produce the biggest fish.sandy hook bay at mouth of shrewsbury is hot.looks like a good year with most shorts around 16 inches which should be keepers later on in the season.two limit trips in a row for me.ekim

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
make that three limit trips in a row for me.fluke are big and hungry this year.20 keepers today between three guys up to 3 lbs.sandy hook bay at the mouth of the shrewsbury river

1 - 8 of 8 Posts