BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt bad for my bro and his boy, Stephen, (they drove 4 hours on Friday and experienced motor problems within the first hour of fishing), :( :confused:

I decided to take them out on my "Bertha" on Saturday even though we knew that we were in for a day of foul weather. (I hoped we could at least try some fluking in tight if we kept a close eye on the skies.)

Spent some time snagging a few bunkers inside the AH marina before we moved outside the breakwall to fish the Leonardo Flats. However, John and Stephen did not have their rain gear with them, so we stayed within a short jaunt back to the AH marina just in case.

The area from teh security perimeter at earle all the way over to the Coast Guard ledge yielded a few sea robins and about a dozen short fluke. Bait was squid strips and spearing.

Around noon, John and Stephen were able to get their raingear out of their disabled boat, so we moved back out in front of the hook. Drifting in the downpours the remainder of the afternoon, yielded constant fluke action with a lot of double headers. Unfortunately, most of the fish were shorts from 15 - 16 & 3/8". We had a bunch of fish that were just under the limit by 1/2" or less. (It din't matter whether John measured them brown side up or white side up, they still fell short of the legal size.) ;) :D

Closed the day around 5:00 PM with 7 keepers, a few blues, some skates, a few robins, and I added a single sea bass. John had 3 keepers, stephen had 3, and I had only one which was the biggest of the day at 18.5".

The constant downpours made all of our hands and fingers look as wrinkled as if we had been in a pool for 4 hours when we got back to the dock.

Fortunately, the lightning stayed either to the south around Long Branch, or it headed up the bay to the North.

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
mouth of the shrewsbury is hot.20 keeper fluke up to 4 1/2 pounds thursday.i hope all this rain dosen't screw things up.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Thanks for the ride Bro! I should have the motor fixed by the weekend so I can return the favor. With better weather we should pound em but good.

Oh and to the authorized Mercury Mechanic who charged me 100 dollars to tell me that he didn,t know what was wrong with the motor.......It was the switchboxes. Figured it out myself . :mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts