BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to buy a new rod & reel for head boat Fluke fishing in the bay and money was no object.

What would you buy? & Why?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
127 Posts
my fav rod is my st croix 7ft ML action it is great for using bucktails or straight rigs and just because its a meduim light means nothing i landed a 10lb male tiderunner weakie this year and no sweat great sensitivity feel every contour of the bottom and its important to use a good reel i have an old prion and it still works like a champ but a stradic will be much easier to find and cheaper i also find that using a braided line like power pro increases sensitity and hook up ratios. This is all for the back channel out front go with something heavier but i dont fish out front as much so i cant help ya ther neway thats my advice

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
That is actually a tough question that will have many different responses IMHO....

If the rod is used strictly for HEADBOAT fishing you may want to go with a "cheaper" rod like a Ugly Stick or something in that area as the rods can take a beating if used on a head boat you never know what crazies you will encounter.

I build all my own customs and when on a head boat good old reliable Ugly stick comes out to play so that if some "inexperienced" fisherman decide to step on it it is not to heart breaking.

It also depends on the area you fish Deep Water or shallow (less then 50 ft) as that will play a major role in the class rod you will need to be using. For example most of the time you need 12 or more ounces at places like the "old grounds" but in the bay you may need as little as 3.

To many variables to the situation if you ask me But hey that is my humble opinion

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Phil is correct. It really depends on where you fish. I fish alot back bays/shallow waters. I typically fish 3-10ft of water. I use from 1/2 to 2 oz of lead and a light action ugly stick. But when fishing out front bring out the bigger stuff. AJ

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responces. Very good information. Confusing But I should have expected several personal choices. I guess there is no 1 perfect set up.

Phanatic
Your information is well taken. I seldom go as high as 6 oz. sinker in the bay.
That is Raritan & Sandy Hook Bay.
The depth can go as deep as 40 to 50' but that is rare. The Head Boats here like to let the customers fish easy, Stay out of the heavy current.

George

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
70 mh St.croix, W/Shimano Calcutta 250, spooled w/ 30 lb power pro.

I have been really turned off by Penn. Every penn reel I have has had a problem, but on the other hand I heard the new Penn's are making a comeback.

I mostly jigged and use a bucktail from 1/4 to 1 oz. This setup I use in the back bay shallows and deepwaters of ICW. If you got the dough go with the Shimano Calcutta it gives me peace of mind when that drag starts screaming. Dollar for Dollar St. Croix is excellent rod for fluke.

For Stripers go Lamiglass, w/Shimano Calcutta 400.

Johnny d

Johnny d

·
Registered
16,417 Posts
Originally posted by Bob ECT:
Lamiglas 6625C. Soft tip, strong butt to handle the weight.
This Tri-Flex series rod will cover your needs from the back bays to the Deep water! Nothing Fancy but will fish 1 - 12 oz. w/ great sensitivity and has the bone to handle big fish, plus it's a great rod for any sized bass!. At $135 it's the best stock rod for the money. If you want to 3X more, get a 15-30 Cape Fear live bait series!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I use either a Fenwick or St. Croix graphite, 7' Medium action bait casting rod rated for 10-20lb test line. Have stuck with my OLD Penn 109 levelwind reals, last forever (pick them up at yard sales, flea markets, auctions). 30lb Power Pro with a SeaGar flourocarbon leader... can feel the minnows breath. I fish only back bay with 2oz top and bottom rig. For jigging/bucktailing I use a St. Croix 7' graphite with the same rating as the above rods.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the great information.

I hope I am not being stuffy. I think I have decided on the ACCURATE-197X.
The only concern I have is it seems to replace the 197M. If the M was great why replace it??

Does that mean there was a problem with the M ?
It is very expensive but seems to be built to last a lifetime.
I like the sealed ?TWIN DRAG SYSTEM? as well as the 7 stainless steel bearings.
Five year complete warranty (if you have them service the reel every year).
And it is made and assembled in the U.S.A..

Now I need help to match this with a rod.

THIS WILL BE MY PARTY BOAT STRIPED BASS ROD & REEL

Thanks again

George

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I heard those Accurate reels are sweet. If your gonna spend that kind of dough. I would match that reel with a Cape Fear rod. Those rods are supposed to be unbleavable.

johnny d

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jonnny d

Thanks for the information.
If you think of the Italian reel manufacture please let me know.
I looked atone that had the drag # on the side plate I think that reel is over the top.
I am NOT in a hurry. I want the best not the most expensive.

George

·
Registered
31,755 Posts
It's either Everol or Duel. Everol has the drag #'s on the side plate on most of their models. The Waterproof series is standard pre-set drag. The only small model they have is the 12/20. It would be overkill for bass and flounder though IMO. It's built to be a small tuna. It handles tuna under 100lbs, no problem. Bass and fluke aren't real demanding on the equipment.

Duel has the speedy 12 model. I don't like it as much as the accurates, it's more of a small tuna reel too, and parts take a while to get in if you need them.

Everol stocks parts in the US, I don't think Duel does yet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bob ECT

Thanks My mind is now made up.
I am going to kill this topic and start one for the rod.

Best and Please get you name in the record books this year.

George

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.