BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for all the help.

I have decided on the Very Expensive "ACCURATE 197X" (Used to be the 197M)
It has a duel sealed drag system 7 Stainless steel ball bearings.
It just sounds like a great reel that will last forever.

Now I need your help to match it to a ROD.
Someone has said Cape Fear. I looked that up and that is much too expensive to justify.
I am nuts but not crazy.

Thanks in advance for your help

George

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
George - I have the accurate 197 - it kicks arse! It may be overkill for fluke. I use it for tossing bunker heads for big bass and clam for drum.

Striper101 & Sedated have landed some hogs on them I - I believe Phil got a 100 plus yellowfin and Striper101 90 something drum!!!

For a rod I'd go with a St Croix, Lamiglass, Rogue or Loomis. I own them all and they are all great rods.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Biggestjacj

I thought the reel was a bit heavy. I am at a time in my life when I want to treat my self-extra good.
I looked at the Van Staal spinning and they are off the market for some reason. I think a redesign. Actually the Accurate are being redone also the X series is not out yet.

Thank you for your advice. I will have to wait for the reel and take it to the shop and feel it on the rod.

Thanks

George

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
for what it is worth...I wanted a new flounder rod/reel also...I matched a Shimano 2500 Stradic with a St Croix Avid 6'6" medium light fast action...15 lb power pro.

I will never go back to Penn, Ugly Sticks, & mono again!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Check out the "Star Plasma" rods. They're new for this year. They have great action and FUGI SIC guides for smoother casting. I really like them, and I think they look great! The Accurate would look good on it. You also can't go wrong with a Lamiglas or Loomis, but you should at least check out the Plasma with your new reel. (Just one woman's opinion.)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.
You have been a lot of help.
I guess there is no one perfect combo.

George

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a "reel" tackle junky, I have several recommendations: 1. If this combo is to be strictly for flounder, consider a top quality rod for its sensitivity. 2. Flounder do not require the reel with the absolute best drag. 3. If this reel is to be used for other fishing including species such as albies, bonita, kings, etc., go for the best you can afford.
I have several accurate reels, though no 197. They are excellant reels, but my one complaint with the 665 & 870 is the lever drag doesn't have a very broad range. The drag has only 2 or 3 stages from off to lock up. I also broke the anti-reverse on a 665. Their offshore reels, 50w and larger, are top notch. Take a look at the Saltiga 30, Trinidad 20, or a Duel 12--all quality reels that can handle 5# flounder or 100 lb drum.
MakeMeNuts is right about the quality. A good rod, reel and braided line give a tremendous amount of sensitivity. Cape Fear are supurb, but so are Loomis & Rogue. The top end of All Star, Star, St Croix and Shimano will also give you the same sensitivity. The next step down are the second level rods from the above companies and also Fenwick techna/hmg, Shimano Compre, and even Cortland.
See if some friends own a rod or reel you like and borrow it for a trial. Quality ain't cheap, so any way you can get personal experience the better. I am still trying to get a Cape Fear back from a friend in NY who fell in love with it. Hope this helps.

fishnherb
Member IGFA, RFA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts