BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOMS RIVER - New Jersey's fluke fisherman will get to angle for the tasty flatfish on both Memorial Day and Labor Day this year, the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council ruled Thursday.
Last year, anglers were angered when the season ended Sept. 4, before Labor Day.
Fishermen pushed the council to pick a season that included both holidays. The council chose from 12 options to stay within the state's quota for fluke, also called summer flounder.
Dozens of fishermen commented on the options, and the council chose the most popular one, May 29 through September 6. The season includes 101 days of fishing. Fishermen will be allowed six fish per day, with 18 inches being the minimum fish size.
Every year, the state uses a combination of bag limits, minimum fish sizes and days fishing to meet a quota divided among the East Coast states.
The 12 options had minimum fish sizes of 18 inches and 18.5 inches. A larger fish could result in more fishing days or more fish per day, but there was little support to raise the fish size since the great majority of fish are already being thrown back because they are too small.
The bag limit options ranged from four to six fish per day. Nobody wanted to have a bag limit under six.
That only left some flexibility with seasons. The options had them starting as early as May 4 and ending as late as Sept. 26.
A group of anglers pushed for Option 4, which would have run from June 26-Sept. 21.
"We want to be able to fish for fluke in September. In May and June we have stripers and blues, but there's not much in September," fisherman Paul Hartel said.
Brook Koeneke, operator of the Duke o' Fluke party boat out of Somers Point, pushed for both holidays.
"Any option that blocks us out of Memorial Day weekend is untenable. We need that early holiday," Koeneke said.
Anglers got both holidays in 2008 as the season ran from May 24 to Sept. 7, but the state was ordered to cut back harvests by 4.2 percent in 2009 due to over-fishing in 2008.
New Jersey anglers exceeded catches again in 2009, by 24 percent, but were only ordered a 1 percent reduction this year.
Some fishermen had a hard time believing figures read at the meeting showing excessive landings last year since the majority of fish caught were less than 18 inches and had to be thrown back.
"24 percent over?" questioned Belmar, Monmouth County, party boat captain Robert Quinn. "It rained the whole month of June, and the rest of the summer we threw everything back. You guys have to come up with something to help us out. If not, we'll be out of business and our children won't be able to fish for anything."
Marilyn Reingold, an angler from Atlantic Highlands, Monmouth County, urged the council to at least let children keep one fish under 18 inches just so they can go home with a fish.
That was as controversial as the meeting got, even though anglers are reporting more fluke than they have seen in years but will not get to catch more of them. Council member Patrick Donnelly said this saddened him because it shows anglers are so beaten down that they almost accept not being able to catch fish.
"A few years ago these meetings used to be contentious. We're so beat down. We're getting beat over the head with a stick, and we're happy if it's not too big of a stick," Donnelly said.
Ed Goldman, another council member, said he grew up when there was no fluke season. Anglers could fish for them at will.
"Nobody likes the options. I'd like no closed season. It's a pipe dream, but it's something I grew up with," Goldman said.
The council normally meets in Galloway Township, but to accommodate northern New Jersey fishermen, it hold its meeting in Toms River. The meeting drew a large crowd of northern New Jersey fishermen who normally do not attend. Chairman Gil Ewing said he would consider using different locations for the meetings in the future.

·
Registered
31,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I almost had a 13 " weak last year , need to work on my technique .
we had many last few years,but some guys put there nose up at them. fills the void between flounder and striper,besides,very short ride out,day on the water,and dinner also.we catch a bunch of them,but only keep enough for a meal or two.we kinda do like the freshwater guys.keep in the live well and release when a bigger one is caught.last year the biggest we got was 21 inch.we actually only took home 3 at 13 inch last season. most of our keepers were 14-16 inch.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The fish and game have ** next to Fluke, Weakfish, and black sea bass.

The ** state that changes will be coming in Mar and Apr. You'll notice that the open season for fluke has changed. Its still 6 at 18" but the open season date has changed. Make sure you take note. If you get May 23 in your head because of what the site says now you could get into trouble. Open season starts May 29 according to the above info. You would think they would figure this stuff out by the first of the year to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Once gain, we take it up the *** and seem to be thankfull for it.

Disgusting .

1 fish at 13" . What a joke. It's a closure and we don't even have any outrage.....
I Love to catch Weakfish because of the challenge with their paper mouths, but they aren't on my list of great eating fish, They dont freeze well and the flesh seems mushy to me . I release everyone I catch anyway. But, they are very fun to catch and are beautiful fish.

Live 2 Fish
<>><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
phish.. i have tried for them countless times...i have covered a ton of ground in the bay except near fortesque which i assume is where most are being caught... i have fished no 1 to miah maul to 14 foot and every spot in between with zero luck..10 ,15 years ago weakies were the only fish we caught and caught plenty

·
Registered
219 Posts
I Love to catch Weakfish because of the challenge with their paper mouths, but they aren't on my list of great eating fish, They dont freeze well and the flesh seems mushy to me . I release everyone I catch anyway. But, they are very fun to catch and are beautiful fish.

Live 2 Fish
<>><
Forced 2 Work
Really? I LOVE weakfish. Probably my all-time favorite eating fish. Then again . . I'm not real big on flounder. Kinda bland without something on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.