BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone eats it raw? from reading online it seems to be the same species.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've had it in restaurants, never tried it with fish I caught...I happen to like it, it's my third favorite under scallop and toro sashimi (who needs rice??)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I fished on a party boat out of Cape May and an Asian man was looking to buy a whole fish. Tried at the Lobster House but struck out. Then offered me $75 for my pool winner... Sold!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
it is very good it is a little milder than "suzuki" which is striped bass
Suzuki is listed as striped bass but i don't believe it is the same striped bass that we catch. I say this because i took one to a sushi place that i take my tuna and they would not eat/prepare it uncooked.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Bleed it head down in a bucket of water, then ice it down really good. At least 1 from every catch gets eaten this way with some soy sauce and green onion, one of our favorites.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The striped bass is farm raised as it is illegal to sell them in Jersey. At least thats what they told me when I asked the owner once. As for the fluke its delicious, one of my favorites next to tuna and probably comes from right out front.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fluke Sushi--It`s good

I have marinated it for 4-5 hours in lime juice or lemon with tomatoes and onions. A little celantro is good flavor with it.:)

·
Registered
993 Posts
I prefer sea bass over fluke. I'll eat fluke sashimi on occasion, especially the white side but even in bled fish there meat has like a sandy or cloudiness to them, right?

Suzuki over there is more like a giant wreckfish/sea bass. Here I imagine some places substitute with sea bass if anything.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Also I think its funny that here we'll use the ribbons for bait but if you get fluke sashimi in some korean/japanese restaurants they use the ribbon (skinless) over the rice in sashimi. It makes for a nice presentation anyway, dont think it tastes any different, just different texture.

·
Registered
261 Posts
TunaMan is right the Japanese like the fin meat and serve it as a separate dish from normal sushi / sashimi. Give it a try like mine with some ponzu sauce.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Hold da phone a second...

I hate to break the news to those of you that decided to slice the flopping catch and pop it in your mouth... but it's not such a hot idea.

Fresh... yes, delicious...yes, free from bacteria and nasty worm eggs that can hatch in your belly and cause you all sorts of problems...YES.

I have eaten plenty of raw fish that I have caught, but only after it has spent a little time in the freezer to kill that nasties that can exist in and on it. Do a little research and find out the following:

Parasites like cod worms, tape worms (especially from freshwater fish), and associated critters can set up shop in your gut and decide it is a nice place to hang.... until they grow... then you find out who the boss is. And that has nothing to do with the bacteria. Salmon is particularly suseptible to parasites.. even the professional sushi chefs freeze their salmon before thawing and slicing....

Most of these suckers live in the fish's guts and migrate into the meat once it dies, so bleeding and immediatly gutting and washing your catch can make a big difference. If the "on-board" feast is still mandatory in your world, wrap it and ice-it in either super clean ice or a super clean slurry (which actually brings the meat temperture down below freezing). I say wrap it because that will protect it from the "other" bacterias that are surely living in that fish box or cooler of yours.

I know........... I know..... "I've been slicing and munching off the deck for years...' OK, if you want to throw caution to the wind go ahead, but before you plop a slice of fresh kill in your kids mouth maybe you should just take a few precautions in case his or her stomach does not have the same enzymes in it yours does that is killing off the nasties....

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread... yes, fluke sushi is AWESOME!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts