BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new favorite method of fluking that doesnt involve crowds, boats or sunburn. Have seen both my numbers increase and the average size. And I pick up some bass in the mix as well.

Anyone else fluke at night?

RyanF

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
are you kidding? i have heard of some caught at night but never tried after sunset.....flies carry you away though

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
THERE WAS A HOT TOPIC IN HERE LAST YEAR ABOUT THIS
NOT MANY CAUGHT AFTER DARK FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ryan,
I have had better success at night as well. Flounder are nocturnal. They primarily are on the hunt when the sun goes down!!
Good luck and go get um!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
A few years back I used to go night fishing with my nephew every weekend, we'd hit all the lights at bridges & docks, mostly snappers and small stripers. One night I was using a small rattle trap with a cray fish pattern on it , I got 4 flounder on 4 casts, 3 keepers. I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I've caught a few on lures at night, but i think they are more sight feeders than smell, if they see it and want to eat, they will hit it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Not many people target them at night because of the potential drifting hazards such as crab pot/lines, etc. I'm sure fishing for them at night under lights can be pretty good dragging a bucktail along the shadow lines ;) .

[ 06-20-2006, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Joe D. ]

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have never had much luck for flounder at night, but I'm headin down after work and might give it a shot tonight. Do you use the same methods as you normally would drifting during the day? Are the fish in the same locations/depths?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
My fav. time to fish for fluke is under the lights at one of my favorite piers. Coolest part is, you can see the fluke on the bottom and watch them eat your bait.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
what kind of water depth are you fishing? Around the docks, it is only 3-4 feet deep. Is this good enough or should you try the deeper water? let me know as I am very curious

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I am not speaking for nightime fluking.. but have caught them in the day in less than 2 feet of water.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
We rented a house on the bay in sea isle this year and I am thinking about bringing down a light to attach to the dock. Would this start to bring in fish right away or would it take a few nights for the fish to get to know it was there? I know it will bring bait fish in almost right away. Will the stripers and flounder be right behind? let me know

·
Registered
229 Posts
Depends on the location, if you are in a channel where the water flows good, it won't take long at all! Bass tend to be at rat size,but keepers have been in the mix. :D Fish the bass first, then the flounder, fish spook easy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Originally posted by Skmag357:
We rented a house on the bay in sea isle this year and I am thinking about bringing down a light to attach to the dock. Would this start to bring in fish right away or would it take a few nights for the fish to get to know it was there? I know it will bring bait fish in almost right away. Will the stripers and flounder be right behind? let me know
You'll get some baitfish the same night you put it out. Sink a chumpot to the bottom with something oily (bunker chunks or oatmeal soaked in sheddar oil) when you put out the light and leave it there during the day to keep scent in the area. You won't regret it.

[ 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: sunnydaze ]

·
Registered
682 Posts
I like to throw my lures up on the beach and drag them back into about 2-3' of water at night. I have never caught them at night except under the lights.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I never heard of not catching them at night, I even got one on a rattletrap at night, my buddy got an 11ber off a pier in the Harbor last fall, plus this year alone a bunch have been takin in the sods at night.

Your right guys it is cool when your fishing under the lights and you see them come up out of no where and go after the bucktail. They blend right into the bottom, but then you see a couple just appear, pretty neat.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Ok there is the lay out....tell me what you would do. The dock has two areas. Once you pull the boat about 5 feet from the dock into the bay, there is a deep hole about 22-26ft deep. Good spot to fish. On the other side of the dock facing land, it is about 2-4 feet high. Where would you set the light? I was thinking chumming right under the dock so the fish will come up out of the hole and get closer to shallow water. Then put the light on the shallow water so that it is mostly shining about 4 feet from the dock. Next drift minnows with no weight into the shadow between the dock and light and wait......what do you think or should i try something different? let me know

1 - 20 of 25 Posts