BASS BARN banner

Fly Fishermans Hell

488 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  CapeMayRay 
#1 ·
Seems like that is what we are in here in South Jersey. With the wind and dirty water. Everyday guys are getting fish in the rips in horrible conditions. The same with the bunker chunkers up in Delaware Bay. Today I went to the beach with the wind blasting straight off the ocean. Lots of wave action water dirty, some birds working and bait guys are getting nice blues and stripers. If it wasn't for sense of smell, no one would be catching.

Talked to a few people from the fly club today and it seems like the further north you go the better the water looks. I don't know if we will ever see clear water down here until the season is over. May have to start marinating flies in clam juice or bunker oil.

Water conditions are like a fly fishing nightmare that will not end. I haven't even seen any of the usual plug fishermen in few weeks. If you plan to fly fish this weekend, I say head north.

#2 ·
Some what better. Top of the tide today the back bay was much better. Only the bottom of the tide was dirty with a lot of weed. Back bay water also a little warmer. Back up to 56 degrees. Even the surf looked a lot better this morning except for weed that was bothering the surf fishermen. Still not super but better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.