BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get started fly fishing but I don't know where to begin. I have a fly rod and reel. Not the best thing I'm sure but at least it's something.
I was wondering what type of line would be best to use. I'm looking to use it for trout and maybe bass in creeks and ponds.
What backing material should be used? Is this the same principal as the backing used with braided line?
If you had to pick 4-5 flies to start with what would they be?

·
Registered
322 Posts
by no means am I an expert fly-fisherman, but IMO, the best line for you to use is a Weight Forward line rated for your rod. (if you have a 5 wt. rod, get WF5 line.) As for backing, plain old dacron line is what I use. You can get it at Dick's.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part1.php

fly line and rod have to match "line weight" ... the rod rating. You can also use a weight forward line 1 "line weight" over the rod rating.

line? weight forward <line wt.> forward... if rod is a 5 weight, use WF5F... best overall line

backing, dacron or other backing material. braid is ok for backing.. just helps to fill the spool... you'll never see your backing (well almost ;) )

flies?

"streamer"
wooly bugger - black, olive, brown and white (that's 4)
nymph
Gold Rib Hare's Ear (maybe with flash back) (that's 1)
pheasant tail
both the GRHE and PT w/gold bead heads

dry?
blue wing olive
elk hair caddis
patriot
stimulator

that'll do, although there are thousands of combinations of the above in sizes or different flies

read up on the 'net. many many many very good resources online. just do your homework

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There's actually a book "Fly Fishing For Dummies" that I read when I was first starting. It's an awesome book that does a good job of going through the basics and tactics for every popular northeast salt and fresh gamefish.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
if anyone wants a copy of "Fly Fishing for Dummies", send me $3.00 for postage and I'll send you my copy. Might as well put it in the hands of someone who wants it.

First PM/email, first served :)

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Heart said:
I'd like to get started fly fishing but I don't know where to begin. I have a fly rod and reel. Not the best thing I'm sure but at least it's something.
I was wondering what type of line would be best to use. I'm looking to use it for trout and maybe bass in creeks and ponds.
What backing material should be used? Is this the same principal as the backing used with braided line?
If you had to pick 4-5 flies to start with what would they be?
GO TO THE FLY FISHING FORUM,THEY'LL HOOK YOU UP.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Rob,

Very interested in the "Fly Fishing for Dummies" book. I sent you an email.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not realy sure where West Goshen is but French Creek outfitters in Phonixville I think does lessons and L and H in Belmar NJ does lessons for $50 (I will prob be doing this over the summer).
Im in the same boat, lookin to learn, just do not know where to start

·
Registered
525 Posts
Whatever you do, don't try to teach yourself to cast. Find a lesson somewhere and get started right rather than develop bad habits you have to unlearn. You'll get up to speed faster too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info.

I really appreciate all of the help.
I was just checking out the rod and reel I have.
I actually found the reel years ago . Someone must have dropped their setup. The rod had been run over but the reel was fine. I went and bought a cheap fly rod (No idea what I was doing) and used it once about 15-20 years ago.
The reel is an Orvis Battenkill Mark III. I don't know what size/weight it is. There are no markings. The rod I bought is a Shakespeare Alpha 8' #7/8 line. Is that the weight? Is the reel any good? The rod? Or should I just start from scratch?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts