BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing can be more frustrating than fly fishing under lights at night. Bridge, bulkhead or dock, sometimes matching the hatch is the difference between catching and total frustration.

Many time there will be bass sitting in the shaddow lines and you can see them darting out feeding on super small minnows. I call them glass minnows, the are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and almost see thru.

I have found that when the bass key in on such a small bait they seem to hit nothing else. I have found a fly that seems to be very effective. Last SJCFA meeting Brad Buzzi gave me a small fly that he said worked super on Snook at night under the lights. You could call it an Eye Fly, and All Eye Fly, but it seems to work.

You can cut them down to what ever size you need.
Fish feeding under lights, many times want to see the fly coming down current to them and these little guys work. After catching a few fish on almost every cast, I lost my fly. I was able to get a few more but could not effectively find a fly that the fish would take as fast. I total darkness matching the hatch is not as important. Anyone else experience that same?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Under lights last wk. had bass actively feeding.I was by myself and boat control was a problem.They did hit a blue and white crease fly just floating on the surface with a snap.Current too strong and had to give it up.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used the flies above,fishhing shaddow lines under lights. Smaller one worked best. Lost it on a bite off. Bigger one worked, but the fish were super finky. We could see the small minnows that the bass were feeding on, but nothing worked super well. Ended up catching on 5 different flies, trying maybe thirty different ones.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Angel hair. We were catching on even smaller flies than the ones above. With the dirtier water they seemed to like plainer flies with very little flash in them.

We caught on a variety of flies, but no one color or style out fished another. Still looking for the one that is the super fly under the lights.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In last nights report I said I would have a better picture of fly that seemed to work very well under the lights for stripers and herring. It is very simple and seems to match the small baits that the fish are feeding on.

That is the actual fly after 5 bass and 2 herring, so it seems to hold up well. Keep waiting for some big bass to come along and start feeding on the herring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts