BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ORDERED A FLY ROD AND REEL FROM CABELAS LAST NIGHT.I ORDERED A 10 WEIGHT WITH A #4 CSR REEL.I FIGURED A NICE PRICED COMBO WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK-NOW WHAT KIND OF DECEIVERS AND CLOUSERS DO I NEED?COLOR?SIZE?I WOULD LIKE TO CATCH SOME FLOUNDER,STRIPERS,WEAKIES AND WHATEVER ELSE.THANKS

·
Registered
20 Posts
where are you going to fish?what line did you buy?if you have.almost like sweetwater fishin, match the hatch.thats the best way to start.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it came with a wf floating line in which i would like to fish some flats and sod banks via boat.i fish ocean city,margate,atlantic city areas.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a sink tip system from another outfit i had years ago that i will use for deeper water.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by REELKNOT:
it came with a wf floating line in which i would like to fish some flats and sod banks via boat.i fish ocean city,margate,atlantic city areas.
first thing is get out & practice with it in the water.don't try to throw "the whole line".get used to the feel with just the line.do ten mins. then stop 10 mins.when you go to a leader start out short 6' then increase as you get comfortable.upper water column longer,sinking lines &flies shorter leaders.it's not a pure science,thank god!practice,practice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Neither are my favorite flies to use but everyone else likes them. Clousers, I'd go with ones 1 1/2 to 6 inches long. Can't go wrong with Chartreuse over White, Olive over white. Off beat colors, pink over white, light blue over white, sea foam green over white. Same length and color combos for the Deceivers. Also consider surf candies, hollow fleyes. You should also have some sliders, gurglers, poppers, pencil poppers, Bob's Bangers. White, Chartruese, blue/white, green/white for the poppers, sliders and bangers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the most important aspect of the fly you are using i that you have confidence in it. you will fish that fly harderand work different presentations instead of thinking it is a stinky fly and changing it.wooly buggers bigger on salt water hooks are really great patterns . tie with estaz and weight them differently. for the longest time i used an olive wooly bugger and did great with it. that was my go to fly. but now it would have to be a yellow over white clouserwith pearl flash.hope this helps .welcome to a wonderful new world of fishing

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'd send it back and get a nine wt you'll use it more. As far as the flys go get four patterns in several colors and sizes of each. Poppers,Decievers,Clousers, and some shrimps. That's all you'll need until you get specialized. Bill

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was talking to Jim Freda who recommended the 10 weight because it will push harder in the wind not to mention it is a 9-10 weight so i have the option of line change.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
TackleDirect (barn sponsor) has a good Fly selection you can view. I'm glad you made the plunge. Reading the water is important. Like freshwater, fish the x's. Your trout instincts will take over. You'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Mostly good advise, best being get out and get a line in the water. Think of an extra spool & int. line. Someone from the club will help you set up backing, line & leader I'm sure. Good luck & the area you are talking about is where I as well as a bunch others fish. My favorite time is dark, beginning of out-going.

Beachnutt. If I haven't allready, welcome.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reelknot, I think you made a good choice. Because I got a 10wt as my first rod and built all my stuff around it, I never considered a 9wt. I went to an 8 wt to step down. I always feel undergunned in the wind with my eight and rarely use it - especially if I'm going far with one rod. On the boat I'll bring both. I think you'll see more wind on the boat in the open water. If I knew I would be forever limited to one rod I guess I would consider a nine. So many of the new rods with their fast actions overlap each other it can get confusing.

[ 03-24-2005, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Splash ]

·
Registered
789 Posts
Reelknot,

For what its worth, here are a few flies that seem to work for me: chartreuse over white clousers tied 2-5" long; olive over white deceivers tied 3-7" long; pink over white jiggies tied from 2-5" long; red over white clouser 2-4" long (flounder seem to like these); olive over white gurgler 4-6" long; white poppers tied 3-6" long. Combined with the advice above, you should have some success.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS.IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE I PUT MY BOAT IN MAY AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOME COMPANY WHEN TRYING TO FLYFISH THE SALT.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Reelnot, I wasn't trying to take the wind out of your sail. If the rod is rated 9/10 then it should be fine. From my experience the ten weights are noticebly heavier than a nine. If just getting started in fly fishing it should be fun and not tiresome. They probably don't make a bad rod anymore so good luck with it. Bill

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BILL NO OFFENSE TAKEN.I APPRECIATE THE ADVICE.I UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE 10 WEIGHT BEING HEAVIER.I HAVE NOW A 1 WEIGHT AND A 5 WEIGHT ORVIS TRIDENT THAT I HAVE FISHED FOR YEARS.I BOUGHT THE 10 WEIGHT FOR WINDY DAYS AND I AM GETTING A VERY OLD 8 WEIGHT THAT IS IN GOOD SHAPE FOR FREE FROM A FRIEND.THANK YOU FOR THE ADVIVE I TRULY APPRECIATE IT.MAYBE WE CAN DO A LITTLE FISHING TOGETHER.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
A 10wt is a heavier rod, but really a better rod for a lot of situations. I started in the salt with a 10, and have moved slowly downward to meet other conditions that I may face. I only use my 8wt on the boat when there is no wind, or where smaller fish are expected. It's a better sodbank or flats rod, but that's for another post... ;) I use my 9 and 10wts on the boat more often than not. Jim probably told you to go with a 10wt because he does the majority of his fishing off windy surf-battered beaches. The extra power of 10wts excel in those conditions, where even 9's might be lacking.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I agree Dave...especially when you throw the word "boat" and "one rod" together.
The 10wt has more lifting power. You will need this to quickly land a decent fish while out front in the fall. Bass will sulk, but a nice bluefish will make you wish that you had your 10wt,,,, These are the reasons that my first 3 flyrods were all 10wts!
Not a big difference either way. You will use it if you desire a challenge. You will use it because of the increased level of enjoyment that you get from catching fish on the fly.
Be sure to ask questions...Ask for help...just remember to have fun!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts