BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to stock up on hooks, and with the show rapidly approaching, I would like some opinions. All I have ever used are the Mustad 34007 and 34011 for Decevers, Clousers etc. and they seem to be fine, but do you like other hooks for certain patterns? I'd like to pick up some short shank hooks for Surf candies and Shrimp and would like to know what you guys like.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Tommy,
The mustad signature series are very nice.
Short Shank C68S SS and Varivas S900
Medium shank S71S SS and Varivas S990
Xtra long S74S SS......

Have fun my brother!

I am sure I missed that nice Eagle claw that K Abrahms ties on....I don't know the number..

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Standard Mustads are fine if you don't mind sharpening them out of the box. I use them a lot. I also really like the Mustad Sig Series. They are sharp out of the box. They are also cheaper than most other hooks, which is always good :D .

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Another vote for Varivas
Yeah they cost more but they are sharp & strong and I'm confident using them.

I figure why bother spending tons of $$ on rod, reel, line, and all the other stuff & skimp on the hooks.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Seems like almost any hook works, as long as you keep it sharp. I have a few flys that have been chewed apart by blues and reworked many times and they still keep catching. Just check the point before you use it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! I'll see who has the best prices at the show tomorrow. See ya there! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts