BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a fly kit at Dicks. It is a cheapy but I got a vise, pliers, scissors and acouple other tools that I don't even know what there for. It also cam e witha video I will watch. My question is the kit is mainly for freshwater but if I buy different hooks which ones am I looking for also should I buy epoxy for the thread or if its tied correctly wiil it hold up without epoxy. As far as hooks I catch mainly small bass blues and weakies on my flyrod so I don't plan on tying anything real big.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Watch your video then post specific questions. You're question is kind of like saying, hey I bought a car can anyone tell me how to drive. You don't have to use epoxy, it's preffered. You do have to use head cement though. Your best bet is to get to a fly club meeting so some one can show you the basics. Even some shops have basic tying classes or will tutor you if you by your materials there. Good luck with it. Get a spool of white 3/0 monochord thread. A white bucktail, a chartruese bucktail, some 1/0 saltwater hooks and some lead eyes 1/8th to 1/4 oz. Get a hank of chatruese or silver Krystal flash as well. You'll be able to tie one of the best saltwater patterns going, a Clouser Minnow. There has to be a site with an animated tying procedure. Google it. My guess is someone who knows it will post it for you.
But again, your best bet is get just a little bit of one on one with someone that ties.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Try going back to the 2-20-08 posting by "saltwater edge" and look at the fly library they have started. There are some basics there.Actually go back in this forum over the last couple months, and you will see a lot of good stuff, and thought provoking ideas and patterns. You have come to the right place in this forum. I have asked alot of questions, and gotten a wealth of knowledge from the people here. They are more than willing to share tips and ideas.As you get more into it, you will begin to know the right questions to ask, but there are patterns, info on leaders, hook info, and almost anything you might want to know by going back and reading the threads in this forum. **** Luck!:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sean,

In OC there is a community fly tying class that is starting on March 11 at the High School. Give them a call if you are interested in joining us.

Also there is a fly fishing club that meets at the Bayside center on the third Thursday of each month. Look up South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers.

Most saltwater flies are tied on Mustad 34007 or 34011 (longer hook) or equivilant. You can coat the threads with Sally Hanson's "Hard as Nails" from CVS. Or even Crazy Glue from the dollar store.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
repack the stuff you got at Dick's and return it - go to the fly tying class and find out what you need to get started the right way.

if you are interested in fly tying you need to get some good serviceable stuff. You don't need to drop a fortune but you need to spend your money on the right stuff. those kits are for trout flies and they aren't very good for that.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Librarian. gave good advice. Being right in Ocean City you have to check out our fly club SJCFA. We are a teaching club and they are many who can help you from casting to tying. Everyone is friendly and we have a lot of fun. You are welcome to come to a meeting and see if you like the club. We also have a few group fishing events.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked out the video last night and tied some freshwater flies as practice. If I have the time I would like to check out the classes in OC. I think I met one of the guys from the SJ fly fishing club a few years ago. Iwas fishing a pond off rt 9 and he stopped to say hi. Nice guy heavy set fellow scratchy voice,with glasses I remember him tellling me about the class. Matbe I will see some of ya there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts