BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got any special technique for putting loops in the end of fly lines, like nail knots or whip finishing. Any specific advantage of one over the other.

And yes John, I am sure the final touch is UV knotsense:D

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Pete, I prefer braided loops for line end connections. It slips thru the guides smoothly, and holds as stong as any knot. I can send you some if you like...

If you want to try it yourself, here's an excellent tutorial by Dan Blanton (the guy who created the whistler).

http://www.danblanton.com/gettinglooped.html

I prefer these because I have seen double nail knotted loops fail under a load, actually "skinning" the fly line to the core. Braided loops increase in holding strength under tension over a larger area of fly line, and they do not "hinge" if made properly. Just my .02...

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I've used braided loops, ans still do on my freshwater equipment. For my big gear I prefer to tie a very tight, small, Albright using an 8 inch piece of 40 lb flouro. In the end of my flouro I tie a double surgeons loop. Now I can loop to loop my leader to the surgeons loop. Yes both are coated with knot sense. On two occasions I've seen blues in a blitz hit those braided loops. I can repair or replace this connection easily on the water if need be. If I have the luxery of being at the bench, I will sometimes serve a loop at the end.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have done the braided connector but lately I have also been putting a tight loop on the line itself and bind with gelspun, then coat with knot sense

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Fly line loops are best used on the butt ld end only. Nail knot the the butt ld section ( a mono similar in diameter and flex to you fly liine). Use a needle nail knot that ( exits the ctr. of the line ) the nail knot itself is an 1" or so up the fly line. Double surgeons is fine to from a loop in a butt ld. A nail knot loop works well also! Anytime a ld is damaged the butt loop will allow you to install new tippet sections quickly. I have fought several hundered big fish with this set up and "nver" saw a nail knot installed as described fail!! Knot sense is used by me on all saltwater connections when a nail knot or any connecting knot is insatlled. The trick here is simply to use a med flex momo such a momoi or P line ,usually 50# plus to closely matck fly line diamertr. I always rework all my slat line every cou-le of seasoncs to make sure knots are frash & so is mono!!
I've used this type connection for over 40 yrs!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dixie, Are you saying you use the slip on chinese finger type by Rio or cortland?. I have Those on a freshwater line, but I put a nail knot at the of the braid out of dacron backing. Thanks for the offer I have heard peple say they are great, and other people say they do not trust them. The link you sent looks interesting. I take it you do not do the hand made loop in the link you sent me? Double nail knots failing??? You know why i think that is......people using braid to tie the knot instead of mono. You use 50 poung braid, and you can make a REAL tight knot

Flyguy. The only advantage I see to the albright is the sise. it would appear to put the same physical strain on the line a s the nail knot?

John, sounds like you are doing what I am doing, only I us a douple nail know.

I think Capt Lou is kind of saying the same as flyguy, but with a nail knot and not an albright, or double the line overm ake a loop and put a nail knot in it.

Well i have lines with slip on's, double nail knots, and a whip finish that Foulhook put together for me.

The first one to fail will get an albight............with UV knotsense

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I have been using the Cortland braided loops and have not had a problem. I use them to connect my leaders to the fly line. If I have had to change one while on the water I would use knot sense to secure it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray, how do you secure it now?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Pete, I make mine just as shown in the link. I buy a spool of braided mono and do the "double-catch" method shown. Then, th chinese finger cuff holds it on the fly line. I then tie a nail knot where line and loop meet, and cover w/ pliobond or knotsense. The offer still stands, I'll make you some if you want. If you don't like or trust 'em, you can clip them off.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use the braided loops for both connections. I use the Orvis brand, and have never had problem with them.
I clip the fly line to a point, and work it into the braid to the base of the loop. I work either Aqua Seal or Goop into the braid where it covers the fly line. Slide the small piece of flexible tube that comes with the braid to the end of the braid. Put a small dab of the AS or G over it and let it set up.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Philly said:
I use the braided loops for both connections. I use the Orvis brand, and have never had problem with them.
I clip the fly line to a point, and work it into the braid to the base of the loop. I work either Aqua Seal or Goop into the braid where it covers the fly line. Slide the small piece of flexible tube that comes with the braid to the end of the braid. Put a small dab of the AS or G over it and let it set up.
Philly, this can decrease the holding power of the braid, by not allowing it to stretch and grab the fly line.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I have used the plastic shrink tube that come with the braided loops. Have been putting a drop of UV knotsense and then the plastic shrink tube.

I take enough rigged rods and reels and extra spools in the boat that it is never a problem.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
fly loops

Narragansett said:
Dixie, Are you saying you use the slip on chinese finger type by Rio or cortland?. I have Those on a freshwater line, but I put a nail knot at the of the braid out of dacron backing. Thanks for the offer I have heard peple say they are great, and other people say they do not trust them. The link you sent looks interesting. I take it you do not do the hand made loop in the link you sent me? Double nail knots failing??? You know why i think that is......people using braid to tie the knot instead of mono. You use 50 poung braid, and you can make a REAL tight knot

Flyguy. The only advantage I see to the albright is the sise. it would appear to put the same physical strain on the line a s the nail knot?

John, sounds like you are doing what I am doing, only I us a douple nail know.

I think Capt Lou is kind of saying the same as flyguy, but with a nail knot and not an albright, or double the line overm ake a loop and put a nail knot in it.

Well i have lines with slip on's, double nail knots, and a whip finish that Foulhook put together for me.

The first one to fail will get an albight............with UV knotsense
Actually I was trying to get across that the nail knot I use is when the butt ld is inserted in the fly line via a needle, pushed up the fly line about 3/4 " to 1" then pooped thru fly line and nail knotted in this position. You end up with the 3/4 " or so up the fly line inseated of nail knotting to very tip of fly line. The butt end of your ld. now exits the center of the fly line. Add a drop of knot sense and you have a smooth connection that is very strong!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Captain Lou, I know exactly the type of connection you are using, I just have not tried to do it yet. It is a rather traditional method. Looks like there are a lot of ways that everybody swears by. I am going to wait and see which method I have fails, and what does not, and then I guess, go from there

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dixie, I sent you an email

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
dixie noormiss said:
Philly, this can decrease the holding power of the braid, by not allowing it to stretch and grab the fly line.
2 nd that sentiment. Don't coat the whole braided sleeve, it keeps it from doing what it's supposed to do. When I use one, I'll whip the loose end and coat no more than 1/2 inch of the braid with knot sense. You have to allow the sleeve to tighten and bite on tension.
As I've mentioned, I've tried every way and not had anyone one fail. Pick your favorite and master that.
There's nothing more traditional or prettier than a properly whipped loop.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Narragansett said:
Captain Lou, I know exactly the type of connection you are using, I just have not tried to do it yet. It is a rather traditional method. Looks like there are a lot of ways that everybody swears by. I am going to wait and see which method I have fails, and what does not, and then I guess, go from there
FYI 20 + big tarpoons
12 Stripers over 100#'s
Numerous Mahi up to 40#'s
25 plus sails up to 120 #
Tuna 3 up to 90#'s
Several Wahoo up to 40#'s
ETC , ETc.

These fish are tough, my buddy whipped several Salmon sharks in Alaska up to 400#'s ,& several Blues up to an estomayted 300 lbs, coonection when completed properly should hold up nicely !
Trick is if you fish big game a lot to refurbish connection after several uses if it shows any signs of wear!!! Nice thing about it if you need to change can be done in minutes on the boat!! Always use mono very close to fly line diameter,hence 40 tru 60# fits the bill.
Another good solid connection is a double nail knot but this has worked over the years solidly. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nothing is easy! Harry sent me some loops made from Gudebrod mono braid, along with instructions that are excellent. I went to a 2 fly shops, and could not get the braid. One of the shops told me that Gudebrod is not going to be available any more. I looked at Airflo, and they make some. Anybody ever use Airflo? I could not find the cortland either

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, in my quest to be traditional, and use home made mono loops( compliments of Harry), I installed one on the back end of a tringle taper wulff 5wt line .I read Harry's great instructions, and there is a great you tube video on this by a guy named Zach Matthews. Just to test the strength of this ( 30 lb) loop, I slid this on about 2 1/2 in., and pulled, not real hard( before i put the nail knot on the braid), and it came off. Then I got to thinking The RoyalWulff has this "J3" technology, SA has this sharkskin, and Airflo has ridge technology. All designed to cut friction. Now the ridge technology is going to have less bearing surface on the braided loop. So I might think that in order to get the same hold, you need to lengthen the braid that is slid over the line. Make sense? I am not trying to overthink this, but newer technology lines may require some adjustment in attachment. Maybe not another method, but modify the std. method to meet the new technology. I am going back to the dungeon to put the UV Knotsense on the nail knots.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Capt. Lou said:
FYI 20 + big tarpoons
12 Stripers over 100#'s
Numerous Mahi up to 40#'s
25 plus sails up to 120 #
Tuna 3 up to 90#'s
Several Wahoo up to 40#'s
ETC , ETc.
Who beat the world record twelve times by over 20lbs?? I am friends with Al McReynolds and he hasn't told me his record was topped?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts