BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,

I need a new line and am considering the cortland 444sl ghost tip. I have a cortland 444 currently and have been happy for the most part. But I need to move down a weight for the new rod.

I would like to know how the "Ghost Tip" line handles in cold weather and if the running line can be used as a stand alone floating line.

What are your opinions of this line?

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just my 2 cents I have used Cortland in the past and they had problems with the coating and the line would crack and seperate at the loading point. It would last about 3 months at best. I fish off the jetties mostly and I am not in the habit of throwing away 30-50 dollars for flyline every season. I took care of this line and made sure that it was clean and free of nicks. It didn't matter and it cracked anyway after buying 3 different packages. I talked to a sales rep at a show and he was indifferent to my pleas for some sort of satisfaction or reimbursement but to no avail. He didn't stand by his product and that was the end of it for me. I have used Airflo lines and Scientific Anglers Floating line and Striper line with no real problems and still have them on my reel. Airflow has a 5 year warranty on their line. If you are going to be fishing coldwater and weather which is the norm. Checkout those lines that are best built for those situations. I flyfish with gloves on till December. Good Luck and tight lines.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Dave Not familiar with any of the lines you mentioned, although I did have some cortlands, many years ago. I like & use teeny at present. Sounds as though edhead has a pretty good handle on the line thing. Good luck. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Cortlands don't work well in cold water. Trust me
. I know Corland lines very well (been using them since day one, and they are great in the fresh, but no good in cold saltwater). If you want a good coldwater clear line, try the Airflo Clear Intermediate. The entire line is clear, and casts like a dream in the cold. It does get a tiny bit sticky in the hot sun, but once it gets wet, it shoots great.

As for the running line, I doubt that it can be used as a straight floater. It probably has no front taper (head) to it, so there is nothing to propel it out of the rod. It needs a head to shoot. I'm sure you could pick up a floating head for it somewhere.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had similar experiences with other lines cracking, paricularly in the salt. I switched to Airflo several years ago and have had very good success with them. They're easy to clean, just soap and water. They don't crack and their warranty, as mentioned, is hard to beat.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I use Teeny lines primarily. Never had a problem with them.

I also use the Airflo Clear Striper line for flats fishing and it is a nice line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts