BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put a striper on my fly rod this year, usually tossed bait or hardware in the salt and kept the fly rods for fresh water. I understand I should have either an intermediate or sink tip fly line or both. For the sink tip is there one ips rate that is better than another? I?ll be fishing the beach and the back bays. And is there one manufacture that is better casting and handling in the cold weather than the rest, or ones to stay away from? Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Teeny intermediate. Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sparse grey. At Cabela's the Teeny lines are all rated with sink rates. Would an intermediate be 8 ips?

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Intermediate would be my line of choice. In real shallow water I like the floating without a sink tip, it is good for working fly slow in shallow water. I sometimes work two foot of water or less and don't want the fly dragging bottom. If you are fishing jetty rocks you might want to have a heavier sinking line to get down a bit, especially if working ends where there might be more current. Hope you have good luck this fall.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
BH - 8 ips is a sinking head teeny - they should be listed by weight - 350, 550 etc.

an intermediate is like 1 ips to 3 tops - 8 ips is a decent grain - over a 350 I would guess.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brain and CapeMayRay. CapeMayRay, fishing in 2 feet or less are you in a kayak, wading or a skiff. That sounds like my kind of fishing. I did some red fish fishing in Texas from a kayak in shallow water. It was a blast stalking the fish and casting to them. I didn?t think I could find that type of fishing for stripers here in NJ.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Teeny makes a Lefty Hreh Pro series intermediate line that works well. New to the market from Cortland is a Striper series clear intermediate line 444 precision taper.
This line also come in a floating line. wich is great in water less than say 6' deep...
and for the record...and Intermediate IS a sinking line...albeit a slow sinking line, it is in most fly line catalogs under sinking lines.
Sinking lines are harder to cast and will take some time to master...My recomendation? Stay away from the sinking lines for a while...
Floater or intermediate.

Line weight depends on your rod and your feel. Normally an 8wt rod will cast an 8wt line very well. The beginning caster may feel a 9wt line load the rod deeper heightening their ability to develop timing....I hope this helps...
Any questions, just ask!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great Frank thanks for the input. I have the Cortland clear floating line and like it. However I was using it on the flats in the Bahamas one day for bone fish and it got really weird out their. At one point the sky and water where the same color blue and you couldn?t tell where the horizon was it would make you dizzy. The clear line just got lost, you couldn?t see it very well on the water and almost invisible during casting. Strange day! I?ll try the intermediate line first and see how I do. Do you think it would make sense to set up the 8 wt with the intermediate and the 10 wt with the sinking line?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I would avoid the sinking line. It really does require a different casting stroke and timing. I do not use a sinking line very often. I use a floating line most in the backwaters, and an intermediate just about all others,,,The exception is boat fishing for Stripers and tuna...

The warm temps down south really do strange things to our tackle. Most fly lines we use are "cold water" lines, as we have cool temps most of the year. Tropical lines normally have a stiff coating of a shell over them to keep them from becoming too soft or gummy.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Frank, looks like I'll go with the Lefty Kreh intermediate. When I started back into fly fishing I watched his video on casting. Still amazed how he can cast the entire line with just the top half of the rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts