BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time poster long time reader. I have a question for anyone who can help. I am heading to Belize for 5 days in June to do some tarpon fishing. I have Cortland 555 Little tunny tapper intermediate fly line. Are there any possible problems with the heat/sun to cause a performance problem with the line? Thanks

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Never used the 555 LT, but is it rated as a "coldwater line", or something like that? It might tend to melt the coating in the hot tropical sun if it is. Tropical lines are stiffer than "normal lines", so as to allow them to melt slightly in the sun and still retain good shooting qualities. As an example, I have an Airflo clear intermediate which is rated as a coldwater line (so it does not coil up tightly in the colder water). In the hot summer sun around here, it does tend to get sticky, but once I wet it down, it shoots just fine. You'll probably be fine with the Little Tunny rated line as they like the warmer waters anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Gregory (I think) Welcome to the board & I hope you enjoy your stay. Can't help with the line, but I wish you well & look forward to a report when you return. Ron

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Coachmac, Welcome to the barn, Like Sparse, I don't have the experience like Dave has. Dave has tried alot of different lines. Sounds like good information. Good luck on your trip

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Using a lot of lines......Is that a good thing or a bad thing?? :D Just trial and error. I think I finally have my favorites, although there are still so many more to try out...

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I usually leave them hanging by a thread...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts