BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be trying some fresh water trout fishing in Pa. later next month. Can any one recommend some flies, wet or dry, that I should have in my arsenal?

I'll be fishing in skinny water with a lot of pools. Most of my guys toss a CP Swing(?) with ultra light spinning gear. I don't have much luck with that.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Don't know PA streams too well, but in NJ, in late April pretty much anything works. The rivers are all stocked and the trout are eager to eat. Try the standard black whooly buggers and nymphs first if nothing is hatching. Dries may not be the ticket yet, but some small BWO's, stoneflies, and caddis should be on the water. Depending where you are and what the weather/water conditions are like, Hendricksons may be hatching, which usually turns the fish on. You might be able to rise some fish with a good old #12 Adams or Royal Wulff Dry and a small #18 beadhead pheasant tail nymph dropper, too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Where in the state and what streams will you be fishing? Might be able to come up with list of specific patterns either tie or buy.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My "go to" patterns for April are hares ear nymph (size 12,14 and 16); pheasant tail nymph (size 16,18); olive, tan and brown soft hackles (size 14,16); olive or black wooly buggers (size 8,10).

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
You can't go wrong with the blue winged olive. My favorite fly. it works in almost every stream from late Feb. to June.
The bead headed nymph is a close second.
Followed by the tan or brown caddis.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. I don't tie my own flies, but I will pick up as many of the recommended flies I can find.

Philly asked where I'll be fishing. I'm gonna be in the Tohickon Creek in Bucks Co. I'll be between Ralph Stover Park and the Deleware River. It's all rock with small falls, small deeper pools, small ledges, some deep (waist high) water, and a lot of shallow water. It's also very slippery.

Thanks to all and keep those suggestions coming. I could use some help with tactics also. Are there any good streams other than the Tohickon close to it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well that helps a little bit. Most of the the patterns have been covered. Review: Hare's Ear Nymph, size 12-16, Pheasant Tail Nymph 12-16.
Soft Hackles add orange to the colors. Wooly Buggers, add an all white to the colors. And I can't believe the guys from PA didn't suggest a Green Weenie, weighted and unweighted. Also a Green Rockworm(caddis larvae)
Dry flies
Definitely have some Caddis patterns in your box. An Elk Hair Caddis will do in a pinch, Olive or gray body, size 12 and 14.
There are always midges on any SE PA stream.
Griffin's Gnat- size 16-22, Midge emergers size 16-22, and some midge pupae size 16-22.
Tactics:
I'm basically a dry fly person, so I just look for rising fish and toss dries at them. If you're a decent caster, try and place the fly in the fish's feeding lane. Watch for a couple of minutes before you cast, so you can get a good idea of the fish's position. When I'm reduced to nymphing, I often use a dry and dropper
A size 12 or 14 Caddis dry with a smaller nymph tied on an 18 to 24 inch dropper tied in at the bend of the hook. There's also "bobber" fishing,
drifting a nymph or two under a strike indictor.
Wooly Buggers and streamers, same way you'd fish bait fish patterns in the salt. I will sometimes tie a larger nymph and the tie on the streamer or wooly bugger on a dropper behind it. A small fish chasing food often attracts a larger fish.
I checked the map, not as many streams as I'd thought there be, in the general area, you have the Neshaminy Creek, E. branch of the Perkiomen, Unami Creek for stocked streams, and two streams with wild trout in Gallows Run and Cook's Creek.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Tedman that's my home creek not an easy one to pick up trout in, especially on fly. THeir stocking is erratic and they usually don't stock it till mid may. There are a few spots I know of that hold trout pretty consistently throughout the year from Ralph stover down. However due to the water depth and clarity later in the season trout fishing on fly is tough. Another problem is getting anything past the sunnies and smallmouths in there, it's loaded with them. Before the the tohickon became part of the pumping station it was deeper and used to be the best piece of water for smallies in the area. No longer :( Yor best bet to try without hiking is in the stretches before and after the wooden bridge by the parking lot. Wooly buggers, hares ears fished with an indicator and bead heads all work well around this time. when it warms elk hair caddis and mosquito patterns work well. Sorry for rambling I got excited about the tohickon- got me pumped up

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flukerat & Philly, thanks for the replies and info. I plan on doing a lot of hiking, we will fish at the County park, downstream from Ralph Stover. I usually walk downstream toward the Del. River, but this year I'm heading upstream. I'm the only flyfisherman in the crew and always get trounced by the spinner fishermen. They can sure work a CP Swing in the skinny water. Have you ever been to Applejack's Bar?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah i've been to applejack's -that's all I'll say about that- walked in and right out :D Oh, yeah there some good fishing above the dam there, there another parking lot way up, don't know the name of the road but there are a couple nice runs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts