BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had 2 fly rods and reel sitting around. Never picked it up until tonight. I dont know how to turn the drag off the Reel. The line comes out but clicks. I realy know nothing about it but I wanted to take it out tomorrow and goof around with it. Any help?

·
Registered
498 Posts
What is the make and model?

Some fly reels just have a clicker to prevent the reel from free spooling. Your hand acts as the drag.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
i think on them the click is the drag.that reel might be worth some loot,you might want to check it out before taking it out and beating it up.;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah he is correct almost all of them click. I rarely catch anything big enough to get on the reel any way I typaically hand line them in.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
GRANT me a trophy said:
Its an old Hardy.
it's broken. you can't use it at all.

since the reel(s) is(are) broken, just send them to me.

PM me for the address.

(JUST kidding guys...)

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
seriously what size hardy? most likely these are for trout, and the click/pawl drag was (and still is) common for trout reels, which for 99% of us are just line holders. The drag serves no real purpose unless you are fishing for large fish using small class tippet. And even then most of the fight is done using the rod held high.

Not so with saltwater, where you have real fights with 5-40lb fish (and bigger), requiring serious drags and fighting off the butt, not the rod tip.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have it packed in my car. Aftewr work when I get a chance I will do some research on it and see what size it is and post on it hopefully later tonight. Thanks so far guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts