BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a great question from a newbie. am right handed will cast with my right hand ,what side does the reel handle go on? is a intermediate sinking line the way to go for streamers in the back bay or should I get a floater

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Intermediate line for the back is fine. You should have the reel set up for right hand retrieve. It's not as simple as just turning the reel around. A fly shop can do it for you, what reel is it? If you're right handed you'd get tired of reeliing a fly reel left handed. You just don't have the stamina or coordination to be cranking in a big fighting fish with your less than dominant hand.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think it comes down to personal preferrence, actually. there are many spinning reel converts who are more comfortable reeling with their left hand. I have found that I have more coordination when reeling with my right hand, especially when trying to catch up to a fish coming at me. I am right handed.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Right handed right hand crankers -

Do you strip line with the left hand and switch the rod over after the fish is on the reel?

I use baitcasting gear that is right hand crank and spinning on the left - I'm equally adept at both. My fly reels are left handed.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Flyguy784 said:
If you're right handed you'd get tired of reeliing a fly reel left handed. You just don't have the stamina or coordination to be cranking in a big fighting fish with your less than dominant hand.
John,
You are so, so right!;)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The great debate

Forget Hillary and Obama - this is the great debate

I worked in a fly shop for ten years and I wish I caught as many fish in my lifetime as the number of minutes spent going around and around on this subject. The only conclusion we could ever come up with is do what works for you but i must admit that I reel with both hands and have an entire line of BS to explain why it is better (for a righty) to use the handle on the left for trout fishing and on the right for heavy fresh/saltwater. I use both hands equally well but for the most part if your just getting started and you are getting salty use your right hand, and buy me a beer and I'll fill your ear with my theisis on left hand for trout. it might take 2 beers.:D

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
In days of old....

VF Fishhead said:
the handle on the left for trout fishing
... this was achieved by flipping the rod upside-down (reel on top) and reeling backwards, so you fought the fish with the spine of the rod.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flyreel

I have a st croix ,it came with directions on how to reverse ,it comes situp left but it certainly feels better winding with my right. thanks for all the help see you on the beach

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
do yourself a favor and find a club or fly shop to help you get over the learning curve.
Grasshopper you will not be able to reach spirtual creaminess until you can double haul into the wind with the moon in your face.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I am right handed and have both left and right handed reeling reels. I feel like a fish out of water when I use ones that has a right handed reeling. Do what feels most comfortable for you. I feel I can work the rod better with my right hand especially when working a fish under the boat or around the motor. Also I do not like to have to change hands to fight the fish as I like to strip the line with my left.

Try both left and right handed ones and see what you like.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I am all messed up with this. I stripw/ left hand and reel w/ right on fly tackle. I reel with my left hand w/ spinning gear. I reel w/ my right hand on baitcasters (this requires switching hands after the cast, same thing w/ fly casting.) I need therapy now:rolleyes: :p :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I agree with VF, but only to a point, and it has nothing to do with the right or left hand debate. I just think there needs to be a shot to go with the 2 beers:D

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
I am over joyed to see that most have come around & that's all I will say. A few original will know of what I speak.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I'm not as cordinated with my left hand to be handling a rod let alone hold on to a fish... I'm happy casting with my right (dominant) and reeling with my left (non dominant) Its just whats more comfortable for me..

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
dixie noormiss said:
I am all messed up with this. I stripw/ left hand and reel w/ right on fly tackle. I reel with my left hand w/ spinning gear. I reel w/ my right hand on baitcasters (this requires switching hands after the cast, same thing w/ fly casting.) I need therapy now:rolleyes: :p :)
As it was explained to me, again by Stu Apte, you can reel easily with your left hand on spinning tackle because, as you reel, your right arm actually contributes to the cranking process.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
OVER THE RAIL said:
... this was achieved by flipping the rod upside-down (reel on top) and reeling backwards, so you fought the fish with the spine of the rod.
This spine business is malarkey. The spine has nothing -- repeat, absolutely nothing -- to do with fish-fighting power.

As for reeling, do whatever feels better for you. This is easy, because most modern fly reels, especially ones designed for use in salt water, are designed to be used either way.

Which hand you use really doesn't matter, and these debates are arguing over a point that doesn't have any practical importance. It seems that most guys who grew up on conventional gear use right-hand retrieve, and those who grew up on spinning gear prefer the left. But there are exceptions to this, and again, this is not really a serious issue. Do whatever feels best.

For the record, I retrieve with my right hand. I also use right-handed conventional reels, but when using spinning, I retrieve with the left. Each of these feels most natural to me. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Well,

Not sure if this has ever happened before but I actually totally disagree with most of the posts on this thread.

I firmly believe that if you come from the spinning world you should crank lefty. I also believe that the dominant arm should be on the rod (Especially with larger saltwater fish, not to mention the speedsters). I know that I can crank the handle ten times faster with my left than I could with my right (I think all spin guys will agree to this).If you are right handed you should cast with your right and crank with your left. If you are left handed you should cast with your left and crank with your right. You can train your stupid hand to turn the handle just as well as your dominant.

No offense to John (You know I love you like a brother) but that thing about the rod assisting in the cranking left handed becuase its a spinning situation sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

The guys that have already taught themselves to crank righty should stick with it. My guess is that most of you old boys;) started fly fishing when there was no lefty option on the reels.

I guess we all have opinions. We should do a "Who can catch up to an albie" contest or something. I know if I have a speedster turn and come right at the boat I would have no chance with my right hand on the crank. A lot of times in those situations I will start stripping line if he comes quick. You righty guys would have to quickly switch hands again in order to do that.

Nutshell: There is no right or wrong on this subject. Only what works best for you.

I can't imagine how my weaker left arm would feel after taking the brunt on one of those 30+ albie days. Really can't imagine how it would hold up to a few 80lb BFT. I'd be done.

Tight lines, Bob

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Flyguy784 said:
...it was explained to me... by Stu Apte,
You're lucky. Stu Apte is the coolest fisherman, ever. Doesn't he livei n Hemmingway's house in the lagoon?

I don't care which hand you reel with, as long as you get your line back on.

More importantly- You'd better be able to cast with both arms, or you're gonna wind up with a 2/0 zonker in the back of your head when the wind's blowing. (Does it ever stop?)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts