BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Brendan,
My advice is to not buy a kit. Number one reason is the lack of quality materials. Since you are posting at the barn I am assuming you are saltwater tying. For that reason I would also look into buying a different vice because of hook size and durability of voci and clamping mechanism. I would recommend an Anvil Apex vice. It is what I started with and handles hooks from 4/0 down to 26 or so. I see you are in West Chester. I live in media and work at the sporting gentleman. If you have any other questions you can get me on my cell. 484.557.6054. The Anvil isnt the best vice but it does have lifetime warranty( they do stand up to the warranty), both left and right handed and also comes with both pedestal base and c-clamp which is rare to find. All that for under $100 makes it a very good value.

·
Registered
71 Posts
DO NOT buy a "Fly Tying Kit" from big box stores or mail order catalogs. RUN, do not walk, to your closest fly shop. Tell them what you want to do (eg. salt water flies, etc)and let them put together the basic tools and materials you will actually use to tie the flies you intend to fish. Tell them your budget and they will select the best stuff for your money.
Generic 'kits' usually contain poor tool selection and a lot of materials that they could not sell anywhere else, so they package it all together. Try to find a fly shop that offers classes or lessons on fly tying. Another very good option is to look at the high schools in your area. Many Adult Evening Programs include a fly tying course. If all else fails, drop me an email and I can help you get started.

·
Registered
71 Posts
OK . I see feathersnfins posted just before me and gave the same very good advice. Sporting Gentleman is an excellent resource. USE THEM!!

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Brendan,check out the sporting gentelman in media.great stuff.people are really helpfull,i have bought alot of stuff from them.they have demos at times.worth the trip....Feathersnfins.when are you guys moving to the new store?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts