BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Flyguy started a thread about showing tying desk.. it makes my mouth water seeing those work station. Anyway, i want to get to tying my self. I have some of the tools as i started trout fly tying 2 yrs ago.. I have a Regal vise with the stainless steel jaws that i use for my trout tying ... The problem is that vise is a trout fisherman's dream. It takes hook sizes 30 - 2 (as per regal). I tried putting a saltwater fly in there i think it can only go to 2/0 or maybe 3/0 the largest . So does that mean i need a new vise? would it be wise to sell that vise? ( its 2 yrs old in great condition ) and just get one vise that holds hook sizes that i can use for trout and saltwater flies as well... or just get another one just for saltwater flies?..... what would you guys do? what would you recommend? Let me know what you think.. Looking forward to your replies.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Sushi, I use a Regal but it has the larger jaws on it. Did you check with Regal to see if your vise will take the larger set of jaws? If it does you can still keep the vise you like and use it for both fresh and salt.;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I tie on a cheap vise, a Danville, now it will handle from a 32 to a 10/0. It can get a bit dicey at both extremes, but I only tie a couple of those two sizes each year. I would say the bulk of my salt water tying is done from size 6 to 3/0 and my fresh water tying ranges from 24 to 3/0. If you look at the average Jersey shore baitfish. They range 1-4 inches in length so you, and you can certainly build a 6-7 inch fly on a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. You might see if Regal makes a set of salt water jaws for your vise, but if your vise can handle a 2/0 or 3/0 hook go with it. Save your money for all the new fly tying materials you're going to need.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill Couch said:
Sushi, I use a Regal but it has the larger jaws on it. Did you check with Regal to see if your vise will take the larger set of jaws? If it does you can still keep the vise you like and use it for both fresh and salt.;)
Bill, I think i need to buy a new set of jaw for bigger size hook if i will stick with regal... i think it runs from $120-140 plus shipping. For the price it seems like im buying a whole new vise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
news flash!!!! i dont think i need a new vise ... i looked and played with my vise again and i was able to fit a 5/0 hook that i used before for bait fishing. The knob underneath was in the way when i first tried it but now it did fit and hold a 5/0 hook... Im a happy camper now. atleast i dont need to buy a new vise. Will use the money for some other tools and materials. Thanks again :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts