BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Barners!

I'm heading out to WA in a couple of weeks to drift fish the fall salmon run (it's a King retention year too :D), and am curious as to restrictions or advice for bringing gear on a commercial jet. Plus, any TSA rules that I should know of.

I've spent some time researching this, but I just want to see if anyone out there has had any troubles clearing security checkpoints. I'm not bringing any tackle with me, I will bum some from a buddy out there and purchase tackle as needed. Any problems with reels in a carry-on or what about rods?

I'd like to avoid checking, if possible. I don't want to pay to check my bags and then have the airlines loose the bag (it's happened to me more than once). Plus, to be with out my wading gear would be a complete bummer.

Thanks in advance.
Bass Mon

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If you have a buddy out there, your best bet is to have the equipment shipped right to his house. Just make sure it's packed right and insured.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got back from fishing down in Mexico and I had no trouble at all. They didnt even charge me a baggage fee, (technically the rod case was over by only 1 inch). One customs agent pulled my bag aside when they saw my fishing reel wrapped up in my bookbag, but it only delayed us a few minutes. Since you are flying domestic I would guess no promblems.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bassmon,

I went down to Florida this summer and I was able to carry on my 2 rods. The are both 2 piece, so i broke them down and tied them with rubber bands. No one said a word

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the info, I can ship the gear ahead of time because my buddy is currently living in FL. His gear's at a friends house that we've got to pick up. Although it's a great idea to ship ahead.

I'm glad to hear that hasn't been any issues with either the airlines or the TSA as far as carrying on that type of stuff.

Thanks again.

BassMon

·
Registered
62 Posts
damn i'm jealous, where in wa are you going fishing? i used to live in Port Angeles on the olympic peninsula and fished all over. i flew back last spring to go steelheading and carried onboard a spey rod, 14 ft flyrod, broken down into 3 pcs, in a tube. they didn't have any problems with it. good luck and take a bunch of pics.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I fly w/ fly gear annually to FL. My 4 pc rods go as carry-on, 2 pc get checked. anything sharp (scissors, etc) goes in my checked bag also. reels in carry on bag. never had a rod broken/lost, etc. Even something as simple as a PVC tube will hold your rods. cushion both ends, and I bet you'll be fine. Just put your personal info on it so you can be contacted in the event it gets lost.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey OlyPenJeeper,

I grew up in WA, and have spent much of my time on the OlyPen. I've done some scuba at Salt Creek, hiked around the Hoh, camped in La Push, clam'd in Ocean Shores, but on this trip I'm fishing the 'Hump' for the fall run with an old H.S. buddy of mine.

How long you live in Prt Angles?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i was stationed there in the uscg from 04-08, before that i was stationed in astoria oregon from 01-04. i loved everyday spent in the NW and didn't want to leave. why would you move from there? just curious

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a long story but I left in '99 after growing up out there, I wanted to travel, so I've drifted around for the last decade, and have ended up in PA because my wife grew up out here. We are planning on moving west though sometime in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts